timing of medication!

moonfruit

Hi me again... :oops:

OK so...tomorrow I am going to the red hot chilli peppers gig; doors open at 4pm and I have been taking my meds 2000mg slow release metformin at 6pm with a meal. I called the stadium of light where the gig is playing and explained that I have diabetes and needed to take my meds at a certain time with the appropriate food and drink. eg not hamburger/hot dog/chips and the usual. what are the policies for taking your own food under these circumstances? upshot was a droning rather uninterested voice mail which I picked up after work basically telling me that I was not allowed to bring my own food and that there was sure to be 'other diabetics' at the concert and advising me that there were plenty of various food and drink outlets for me to buy something to eat and drink within the stadium (they did not quote the extortionate price tag attached to this option!) anyway the reason for this post is to ask if it would be safe to take the metformin 2/3 hours early as a one off so as to avoid any hassle while i am out?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Moonfruit

As long as you're not getting the gastric side-effects such as diarrhoea I don't think it will make any difference when you take it. I take 1 x 500mg 3 times a day. So take it early, with a good meal, and ignore the overpriced burger-type food they're offering.

Enjoy your evening!

Viv 8)

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work variable hours and eat in the evenings as and when I get home, usually about 5.30pm but that can vary somedays quite considerably.
I have always just taken my metformin tablet whenever I eat my meal regardless of what the time is, so you should be okay.
Don't let diabetes rule your life.....just enjoy yourself!!

I would take a pot of salad or something with me and eat it just before you go into the gig and then have a great evening without having to worry about searching the expensive outlets inside for suitable food.

Have a great night
Angie

moonfruit

thanks once again for your help! :thumbup: thank heaven for this website and the members.
Whooo hooo...chili peppers here I come :clap:

I am not sure strict adherence to time is necessary with metformin I take mine a bit haphazardly anyway mostly when I remember :D mind you I have been a type 2 diabetic for 20 years and not much puts me up or down as long as over the day I eat three times. and I eat carbs when I feel low so have a small pack of biscuits in my pocket. but I take gliclazide too and it is a pain

moonfruit

took my meds early....came home around midnight, tired, cold, hungry and for once feeling more human than I have ever felt before, since or after my diagnosis :thumbup: thanks for all the great advice xx