Tingling after eating sugar?

Big_Baner

Hi guys,

For the last year or more, I've been having mild tingling, numbness and burning sensations after eating sugary foods, mostly in my arms and legs but sometimes elsewhere. My diet is pretty bad so I was quite worried. Went to the doctors for blood tests and everything came back normal, below prediabetic levels, vitamin B12 levels were also fine. Didn't really think much beyond that afterwards but lately I've been worrying as I still get the tingling sensations after eating too much sugar. Is it possible that the blood tests weren't entirely accurate (fasted for too long for example)? I'm very much a hypochondriac and I'll try to remind myself of that but what the hell else could it be? In the mean time, I've cleaned up my eating habits and went on a low carb diet.

Thanks.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
How long have you been trying low carb and how do you define it (under 100 gms per day, under 60 gms, etc). Your insulin response to say 30 gms carbs from green leafy veg in a meal will be very different to even a small dose of chips, pasta, or just a tiny slice of sugary cake!

Do you self test your BG levels with a meter? What are your post meal BG levels and how big is the rise compared to pre meal levels after 2 hours? This will help let you determine whether you can tolerate any sugary food (but be warned probably you cannot).

May or may not be relevant to your observations, but my first hospitalisation for DKA due to chronic high BGs happened following a morning of nagging one sided back pain that after a few hours became acutely painful - I went to ER because I thought I had a kidney stone - turned out to be abdominal nerve excitability due to high pH due to my acute DKA. So yes, weird nerve pain is an indicator that your blood pH is reacting to changes in acidity that may be driven by glucose metabolism malfunction. If continuing or worsening, seek advice asap.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

No scientific evidence for this. However. (Diagnosed at 7/8years old, birthday.)
Used to find I had a tingling/numbing in my legs as a kid in the thighs? Oddly, correlating with starchy potato..
Sunday lunch stuff.. Thought it may have been a cat allergy at the time, (we had cats.) but there was no skin reaction just the sensation. Lol, it kinda Put me off spuds. To this day I rarly eat them. (If at all in nominal amounts.)
Back then i and no meter. Twas just the pee test in a tube. My interaction with cats since has not recreated the symptoms.