Tiredness and diabetes - a link?

Insulin_John

Hi folks

I don't mean those diabetics only recently diagnosed, whose blood sugars will no doubt be high.

I have type 1 under control (for about a year now) and my levels are usually always within the optimum, I work sitting at a computer all day and, though I take breaks and exercise my eyes every so often- feel myself really struggling to concentrate by about lunchtime!

Is this diabetes that does this, or my age or something? And if it is diabetes, what can we take to boost our energy and/or concentration?

Thanks

C

catherinecherub

Hi John,
I don't think it is diabetes related because we eat a better diet than most folks.
I find that the best thing is to get outside in the fresh air, even if it is only for ten minutes and walk around. It perks you up again.
Catherine.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi John,have you tried doing a few minutes chair aerobics just to boost circulation? Might get some funny looks from colleagues but it helps to keep you awake at the keyboard,especially in a stuffy office.

Top Cat

Don't know if you've been tested for underactive thyroid but this is exactly what happened to me. Sooooo tired all the time even when my Type 1 was under control. Doc tested and I have underactive thyroid which he said goes hand in hand with diabetes.

Just a thought......

Insulin_John

Thanks guys, certainly food for thought.

I might give the underactive thyroid theory more attention as my mate's girlfriend has just been diagnosed with it.

As for circling my shoulders etc in my chair and doing the Tai Chi...erm :lol: seriously though I do get up and go for coffee etc, also stretch my arms, shoulders and roll my head/massage my neck as it is!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Just the act of sitting at a computer for a long time can make you tired.I should know,I sit here often enough !!! :D

Aadrgon

sugarless sue said:
Just the act of sitting at a computer for a long time can make you tired.I should know,I sit here often enough !!!

Zzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :lol:

C

catherinecherub

Tired???

Attachments

• asleep.gif
    asleep.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,123

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
catherinecherub said:
Hi John,
I don't think it is diabetes related because we eat a better diet than most folks.
I find that the best thing is to get outside in the fresh air, even if it is only for ten minutes and walk around. It perks you up again.
Catherine.

sorry but it is related although i have controlled my infliction for past 14 years i still get tired and uninterested in life in general, a half hour nap does the trick and a brisk 1 mile walk gets you going again though,until next time.

C

catherinecherub

Well I must be unusual then rogbert because I have never had so much energy. . I do sleep well at night as well, usually 7 hrs.
Catherine.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi John, been type-1 for 20 years, always felt tired, but never moreso than when I was put on Lantus 5 years ago. It was not a "normal" tiredness I felt while on Lantus, and I would often describe it as feeling like I had been drugged. Thank god I know longer suffer severe exhaustion since I changed to animal insulin last May, and I feel better generally.
I do believe that there is a link between synthetic insulin and tiredness, and many other problems besides.
Jus

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I agree with rogbert. Ever since I was diagnosed, more likely since doctor thought I was diabetic, I've been totally shattered all the time. I'm tested regularly for thyroid problems. Last one just last month and it's normal. I also work in front of a computer all day and have done for last 16 1/2 years. I also take vitamin b to try and boost my energy levels. That's only been for last 2 weeks so will have to wait a while for better results. Loved the idea of desk exercises. forget the wierd looks from colleagues..... I already get them as people think I'm mad anyway!! :lol:

C

catherinecherub

If you go to this site it explains thyroid problems fully and using the links you will see that test results are subject to interpretation and not always accurate.
http://www.thyroiduk.org
Catherine.

mags44

My hubby is tired all the time, especially after been taken off gliclazide in January. His GP says this is normal. His blood sugar levels have also gone up but the GP is not too concerned about that either. He is also on metformin, ramipril and simvastatin.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I'm always tired all the time too. On simvastin, irbesartan, mebeverine (ibs) and now orlistat for weight loss. I've started taking vitamin b for energy and have noticed a little increase in energy though it's only been a couple of weeks.
Diabetes mot next week. Saw doctor last week for test results for thyroid levels. Results are pretty good and thyroids normal. Weight is the problem now. So knowing the doctors they'll blame my weight for being tired.. have done with every other problem I've had so far.

C

catherinecherub

Hi gillyh.
One of the side effects of irbesartan is listed as fatigue. Do you think this might be the cause?
Regards,
Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi John,
I've pm'd you on this too
You say your Bg is always within optimum. What numbers do you mean? Some of us have found that the optimum levels as given by healthcare professionals and diabetes Uk are too high and find we get on better at lower levels. A non-diabetic is always around 5, with few spikes or troughs.
I personally feel like a lead balloon if I allow my BG to go over 6. I'm a T2 and low carb eater. However look at Fergus's posts. He's T1 on insulin snd keeps eeven tighter than I do.
Also read through Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. and see what he writes about BG targets and how to achieve them safely without risking a lot of hypos