Jowriter66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've suffered from extreme tiredness much too long why does my doctor and practise nurse ignore my complaints about this symptom I've had enough and I won't except it's to do with old age. I now have vertigo to add to my symptoms is this related? I have type 2 diabetes and have no drugs prescribed to me to control it as doctor says to control it with my diet, I don't have a monitor and get blood tests at my doctors clinic every 3 months that's all I get nothing else I have osteoporosis, blood pressure and high cholesterol and have regular medication for these conditions

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think a lot of people go to the doctor with tiredness but it can be caused by so many things and they have limited resources. I have M.E. and have mostly had to figure it out for myself. This might sound like an obvious question, but the starting point is - how much sleep do you get and is it good quality sleep? Also suggest getting a blood glucose monitor.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Jowriter66 and welcome to the forum, as @mariavontrapp says there can be lots of reasons for tiredness. I was getting it too a few years back, along with other symptoms which led to me being diagnosed as having hypothyroidism - where your thyroid glands aren't producing enough thyroxene.

What are your blood glucose test results? If you are getting high readings it could be the diabetes which is causing your tiredness.
And what sort of diet are you following? Many of us on here have found that following a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating has reduced our blood sugar levels. Many also find that they have higher energy levels too with LCHF.

You should really get a blood glucose meter so you can test your blood sugar levels between your 3 monthly clinic checks. You will also then be able to find out which foods raise your bs levels.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would really advise you to get a glucose meter and see what your typical levels are. When diabetes is well controlled, tiredness should not be related to it. Have you though about the statins possibly being a cause? Do ask for a full lipids check at you next HBa1C blood test and discuss the results with the GP and this should be lipids ratios and not total cholesterol. Check that your statin dose isn't higher than you really need. Many people like me can tolerate statins but many others can't. I would also review your other meds and research whether they can cause tiredness and if so discuss options with the GP.

Reactions: Prem51

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
before starting a lchf diet, i was on medication for diabetes and high blood pressure and my cholesterol levels were borderline. after a year of eating as few carbs as possible and upping my exercise levels, my bg levels and blood pressure are normal (off all medication) and so is my cholesterol, plus i lost a stone - i don't monitor my fat intake at all, and include cream and full fat cheese and yoghurt in my diet.

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've suffered from extreme tiredness much too long why does my doctor and practise nurse ignore my complaints about this symptom I've had enough and I won't except it's to do with old age. I now have vertigo to add to my symptoms is this related? I have type 2 diabetes and have no drugs prescribed to me to control it as doctor says to control it with my diet, I don't have a monitor and get blood tests at my doctors clinic every 3 months that's all I get nothing else I have osteoporosis, blood pressure and high cholesterol and have regular medication for these conditions

Just cannot believe the poor treatment some people suffer with.

Extreme tiredness is a symptom of type 2 diabetes and was was what alerted my doctor to the existence of my diabetes.

You have the right to ask your doctors for the results of any test do e on you.

Can you buy a monitor and do it yourself.? Would go a long way to giving you many of the anwsers you clearly need/want.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
You cna buy off of amazan the meter and strips and a lot cheaper than in the chemists, i too feel tired of late so not me as I am a workaholic or used to eb i put everything down to the Lergy diabetese thats my excuse and has nothing to do with I am nearly 72 years old lol

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As others have said, fatigue can be a symptom of many disorders. My advice is to keep banging on about it to your Diabetes nurse and your GP. Fatigue can impact every aspect of your life so after lowering your blood glucose levels this should be your next priority. Improved energy levels can lead to better appetite and mood as well as mobility so try your best to get it sorted out. Best of luck.

Reactions: Ymdawd