1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

To The Ladies On Metformin...

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by maitai, Aug 8, 2018.

1. maitai

maitai Type 2 · Member

So i'm a younger T2 and my period is 4 days late. I don't know if the metformin's to blame or other factors.

I've tried researching it online but i've been redirected to mommy forums with women who have PCOS.

Have you had any changes/delays/early starts to your periods at all after starting metformin?

2. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have had PCOS for over 35 years but now in the menopause but when I started metformin it was prior to menopause- I'd had irregular periods for 30 years but my periods became regular at every 30 days - just a question but could you be pregnant?

3. @Apollo88

@Apollo88 Type 2 · Newbie

I’ve been on metformin for about 8 weeks now and my period has been very strange. I has bright red spotting for 11 days! Normally I get 1light day followed by 2 or 3 heavy days then it’s done. Pretty much since week 1 of metformin I’ve had off and on bright red spotting. I go to see my nurse practitioner again in September so I will ask wtf is going on when I see her. For now I’m just logging all the info on my clue app as normal so they can see how it’s changed.

4. maitai

maitai Type 2 · Member

omg! yes, i've been on metformin for a week now and I was supposed to get my period a few days ago but all i've been having is the bright red spotting :/

5. maitai

maitai Type 2 · Member

UPDATE:

So I did end up getting my period a week after posting this! But it lasted the full 7 days rather than lightening up around the 4th day and basically stopping on the 5th.

I have an appointment with my endo and ob/gyn soon so i'll probably get more answers then!

Just thought i'd update just incase someone else runs into this problem!!

6. @Apollo88

@Apollo88 Type 2 · Newbie

I had my 2nd period while on metformin whilst on a camping holiday last week. I had 4 days of the heaviest bright red period blood that I have ever had. So sorry for the tmi aspect but I passed a clot half the size of my thumb! I kid you not! I took a picture of it to be able to show a medical profession next time I see one and they don’t believe. I am hoping that all settles down soon or I will have to seek an alternative as I am also a haemophilic

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook