Today is Day 1

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

After months/years of pretending that I wasn't putting on weight I've finally got to the point where my weight is making a nuisance of itself so today is day 1 of a lower carb intake. A few years ago I did Slimming World from home and ate all the carbs I wanted (most days I had big plates of pasta for lunch) and I did lose nearly 2 stone. This time it's different though - I just don't want to have a high carb diet. I'm on a pump now so in theory my excuses for not losing weight (blood sugars keep dropping, end up eating more to counteract them), shouldn't come into play this time with a little bit of adjustment. I find this whole weight loss thing really daunting and I know that everyone says take one day at a time but I find this really difficult. I always start everyday being really good and eat a good diet while I'm at work but when I get home I seem to lose all control and my will power goes out the window. I was eating walnuts and/or almonds to combat (quite successfully) a phase of high cholesterol but they're not really very good for you when trying to lose weight. Does anyone have any suggestions for the late-afternoon need for carbs? I think my main problem (even today) is that I don't believe I'm capable of losing weight and I know this isn't the attitude to start with.

:meh:

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I started reducing carbs I had similar problems. So we started planning our weekly healthy menu in advance. It was written down and posted on the fridge. It was our shopping list when we went to the supermarket so we didn't buy anything 'unhealthy' to tempt us later.

Cupboards were emptied of everything we should not be eating and given away. With all temptation removed we found ourselves looking forward to the evening meal and weren't tempted by anything else.

Within a few weeks we had adjusted to our new lifestyle (not a diet) and were reaping the health benefits in many ways. Hope this may give you some ideas.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think Madbazoo has offered some very good advice. Planning your meals is essential and if you don't have unhealthy food in the house you can't eat it. You've made the first step in realising you need to take action, good luck !

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck Lucie and hope it all goes well for you.