Toddler Diagnosis

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! I've been Type 1 since I was 2 years old (I'm 30 now). I have a son who will be 2 next month and I'm currently five months pregnant with a girl.

Of course, I'm totally paranoid about my son getting diabetes. He seemed tired the other day after eating a big breakfast that included a few bites of different treats for his PopPop's birthday. 1.5 hours post meal he was 9.7. 2 hours post meal he was 8.2. I have tested him in the past fasting and he was normal, usually between 4 and 6.

The 9.7 freaked me out, so I got an at home a1c kit and his a1c was 5.8. This seems a little high to me. Those of you with Type 1 toddlers, is he okay for now? I'm bringing him to see a pediatrician on Monday, and I already called me endo. Still waiting to hear back from him.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @LindsayOz I have a toddler but not with diabetes. My advice is to get him seen if you're concerned.

Those levels aren't awful (9.7 and 8.4 in UK units) but as you were diagnosed at a similar age, I understand your concerns. I hope your Endo calls back soon and you get some advice.

Wishing you and your son all the best. XX

Skye's_mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello! I've been Type 1 since I was 2 years old (I'm 30 now). I have a son who will be 2 next month and I'm currently five months pregnant with a girl.

Of course, I'm totally paranoid about my son getting diabetes. He seemed tired the other day after eating a big breakfast that included a few bites of different treats for his PopPop's birthday. 1.5 hours post meal he was 9.7. 2 hours post meal he was 8.2. I have tested him in the past fasting and he was normal, usually between 4 and 6.

The 9.7 freaked me out, so I got an at home a1c kit and his a1c was 5.8. This seems a little high to me. Those of you with Type 1 toddlers, is he okay for now? I'm bringing him to see a pediatrician on Monday, and I already called me endo. Still waiting to hear back from him.

Thanks for any help!

Hi my daughter is two, type one, been diagnosed 5 months now. I understand your concern but just because you have diabetes doesn't mean you're children will, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't! As said get him checked out but all sorts of things affect sugars, growth spurts etc. I don't have diabetes but my daughter does, funny world. Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: azure and Freema

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you both! He has his appointment Monday morning, and he will get bloodwork after that. I'm not looking forward to that. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thank you again!

@Skye's_mummy, how is your daughter doing?

Reactions: azure

Skye's_mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you both! He has his appointment Monday morning, and he will get bloodwork after that. I'm not looking forward to that. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thank you again!

@Skye's_mummy, how is your daughter doing?

Ahh bless him, it's better to know so you can put your mind at rest. Yeah not too bad, she just gets on with it to be honest! A lot braver than I am, it's all just become 'normal' to her now. She's just starting to do her own blood sugars, with a little help! It's amazing how excepting children are! So proud of her.

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck on Monday @LindsayOz , I really hope it's not Diabetes. My daughter was dx at 4, she's 6 now and doing great.x

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just read this...how did it go? Hopefully a big fat NO T1.
I have a 5 year old girl with T1 and a 2 year old boy and we just pray that he wont get it as well. No family history of T1!!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks @catapillar. We were told at the hospital that were was no real way of detecting the likelihood of T1 developing in our toddler but that above link, whilst not definitive, offers some kind of indication. Still not sure I want to know TBH.

There was also some news recently of a family in Australia infusing their younger non T1 child with their own cord blood to try to delay T1. Am researching that as well as at the moment.

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We went to his pediatrician today who gave us the blood work. He wanted him to be fasting, so we are going tomorrow morning. I'm a nervous wreck! I know him screaming and freaking out for the blood work is going to be hell too.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I was told by a pediatrician that bloods in toddlers can be much more variable than in adults. The key thing is is there is glucose in the urine; as that indicates that blood sugars are elevated to an such an extent that the 'renal threshold' is met and the kidneys start trying to get rid of excess glucose. You can buy glucose test strips in any chemist to keep an eye on this.

I would also say supplement him with Vitamin D3.

Here is my go-to study on this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11705562

That show a 78% reduction (relative risk not absolute risk) in the development of Type 1 diabetes in those children who in the first year of their lives supplemented with vitamin D3!

I give both my boys 1,000 IU every day from October to April. You can get vitamin D3 drops (at 1,000 IU a drop) from Amazon. As you are pregnant you should take this too (but confirm with your doctor/nurse).

I hope everything goes well.

Best

Dillinger

Last edited:

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the tip @Dillinger. I guess it doesn't hurt to give Vit D3, can't think of any side effects.
Why not just give year round? Don't get much sun anyways.

Reactions: Dillinger

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is funny you say that @Dillinger because I have always been Vitamin D deficient! I am going to get these asap to start giving my toddler and taking myself. Also, I don't need a prescription for the glucose test strips? I'm going to order those too. Thank you!

Reactions: Dillinger

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Thanks for the tip @Dillinger. I guess it doesn't hurt to give Vit D3, can't think of any side effects.
Why not just give year round? Don't get much sun anyways.

Absolutely, there are upper limits for D3 but those are unfeasibly large; i.e. multiple days in excess of 50,000 iu / day as I recall. Which says to me that 2 or 3 times the 'rda' is going to be fine.

Recommended daily allowance figures are very questionable in any event; the agreed Vitamin B12 levels, for example, were based on seven people, over sixty years ago, and remain unchanged to this day. All seven had pernicious anaemia (caused by vitamin B12 deficiency) (quoted from Dr Kendrick).

The only slight issue is calcium; if you are supplementing with calcium as well as taking high levels of vitamin D3 I understand that there might be a possibility of raising your calcium levels to an unhelpful point.

I take D3 all year and like I said my children take it other than in the summer.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: T1Dad

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
That is funny you say that @Dillinger because I have always been Vitamin D deficient! I am going to get these asap to start giving my toddler and taking myself. Also, I don't need a prescription for the glucose test strips? I'm going to order those too. Thank you!

No, trouble. Do get the 1,000 per drop not the 'children's' version which does not have enough. That study I posted is quite old and was repeated in Finland, I believe, using only the rda for vitamin D3 (either 200 iu or 400 iu) which showed no benefit and guess what the conclusion was? Vitamin D3 has no positive benefit in preventing Type 1 diabetes! It's amazing - not that the dose wasn't high enough!

Holland and Barrett have 1,000 iu drops and you can get them on Amazon too.

Looking back at that study the amount given in Finland was 2,000 iu per day. So, I'd do that for you and your new baby but probably you wouldn't necessarily need that amount for your toddler; it's up to you though!

You don't need a prescription for glucose test strips (or ketone strips) they cost about £5 for a tube of 50. They don't last very well as they react to moisture so once you open them the clock starts ticking but I always have some in the house to address the eternal worry!

Good luck with everything.

Best

Dillinger

Last edited: