Toddler signs of T1

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I am a T2, but this is in relation to my 3 year old grandson, who I wrote about a good year or so ago. He has coeliacs disease and we were worried about some symptoms a year or so ago but his GP basically said these were due to coeliacs. I care for him and his 17 mth old sister twice a week and have noted that he is always tired and loves his sleep, - can be hard to wake up. I've been away for a week and my daughter has told me she is seriously worried as he does nothing but want to drink and when he wears his pull ups at night he is wakes in the night soaked through to his bedding. He eats and eats yet he is thin and he is always tired and lolls around much of the day, complains to tummy ache and he keeps rubbing his eyes, which we thought was hay fever but even with drops and antihistamines still keeps running them. Every so often gets really hyper, disobedient and grumpy - used to be such a happy compliant child - all
Others suggestions been explored to no avail and he is getting worse - complains legs hurt - also getting anxious for no reason sorting about things a 3 year old should not be worried about especially as his tv and exposure to scarier issues is monitored - like the family cat coming near him and might eat him- or where everyone is what they are doing. His eczema also getting out if control - my daughter is going back to GP to be more insistent for blood test. This is not about grandma trying to project her illness on her grandson / hopefully he hasn't got it - but there is something wrong and it saddens us much as he has been through south before hospital accepted his coeliacs. Jus saying is all.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
I hope hes ok and gets the blood tests he needs it does sound like it from what you have written with someone else in the family with it though he will be fine . Let us all know how muchkin gets on x xx

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Thanks cupcake - he is such a sweet child I hope he's ok - but with my diabetes and his coeliacs, his mother has hashimoto's thyroid disease and wheat intolerance so we are quite used to dietary requirements etc but hate to think if him dealing with lifetime of diabetes on top of coeliacs :-(

faeoj

you could get a blood glucose meter and just test him to make sure that's what my parents did and sure enough they were right! hope he gets sorted soon and is nothing serious x

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Poor chap - he doesn't sound very happy. I would get the GP to assess this properly. In the meantime get some glucose test strips for urine; this is a better indicator than blood glucose levels in small children which can vary widely. Any largish chemist will have them and they cost about £5.

If there is glucose in his urine then I'm afraid that points pretty strongly to him being diabetic.

The reason being in a non-diabetic no glucose will be passed in the urine, but once blood glucose levels pass the 'renal threshold' the kidneys will start removing it.

I hope its a false alarm; it is very hot so children should be drinking lots.

Best

Dillinger

howe4now

Can you test him with your machine (not sure if T2 have blood test machines? I'm T1)?

My brother was a coeliac from birth and then a diabetic from 2yrs old. He was drinking water constantly and losing weight, just as you describe. My mum is also a diabetic so she did his blood test then took him straight to hospital where he was diagnosed as T1 diabetic.

He did grow out of being a coeliac at around 7, so fingers crossed that happens for your grandson.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Well, he has had finger prick and urine test and seems not to be diabetes, thankfully. GP admitted something not right, and he's still so tired - took him to local small park with annals for around an hour yesterday, but he wanted to go home to play with his cars also very eddy he asked his mummy for hugs every two minutes- and he has no shortage of love and attention. He had full blood tests and we await results. Thanks for all your support, I do not seem to receive notifications even though I checked the box, so sorry for delay in replying - will keep you informed.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Howe4now - interested to see your nephew grew out of coeliacs, we are given to understand it is a life long condition like diabetes - would be great if he grew out of it [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

HpprKM

Dislikes
Engineer88 - thanks - upon investigation we had noted the links - hence concern, but his mother has thyroid disease as does my son, not sure how likely this is in toddlers but has me wondering.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HpprKM Thats no problem, have they tested for thyroid? could be another thing although eatting and being thin contradict the tiredness of hypo vs hyper :-S

Sorry cant help more.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Well it seems our little boy had tests and is ok - good news, maybe its the coeliac disease that affects him. But thanks for anyway
Your support ::D