toddler thirsty

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

I have a 3 year old who is heavy for her age and is thirsty alot. I wanted to know if I could start investigation to see if she was having diabetes issues or pre diabetes. Could I do a urine glucose test at home to start things before I go to dr ? I wouldn't want to traumatise her unnecessarily

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The most accurate way is a finger prick test. Urine doesn't generally produce glucose until you're severely diabetic.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks. So I could use my glucose meter on her ? Has anyone else done that at age 3 ? She wouldn't be impressed big tantrums lol

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Plenty of 3 year olds have type 1 and they get tested all the time.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You most certainly could. Only you would be in a position to know how and if it would cause trauma.

There are toddlers that take daily insulin jabs, you'll be doing no harm apart from tantrums.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi all

I have a 3 year old who is heavy for her age and is thirsty alot. I wanted to know if I could start investigation to see if she was having diabetes issues or pre diabetes. Could I do a urine glucose test at home to start things before I go to dr ? I wouldn't want to traumatise her unnecessarily

Hello Coleyd, if you have a health concern with your 3 year old then you need to see your GP, a GP will be able to determine if a course of action is required, I personally would not try to do a finger prick test on someone so young as they may find this distressing.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Plenty of 3 year olds have type 1 and they get tested all the time.

This is true, but they start their tests under the guidance of either a GP or nurse, to a young child not used to this then it could cause them distress.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone. I will defo look into it. She is such a fussy eater that she lives on carbs and sweet tasting foods . It's hard to get her to eat and we don't eat junk so I don't know why she is so heavy for her age she don't look overly fat though she has the belly

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could, yes. There's probably nothing wrong with her but least it might put that fear to bed. I'm dad to a 2.5 year old and have had exactly the same worries as you.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
This is true, but they start their tests under the guidance of either a GP or nurse, to a young child not used to this then it could cause them distress.
Fair point.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks. I think I will ask the Dr. What should a toddlers glucose level be for normal ?

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For example is over 6 high in a 3 year old ? I just checked her she was 6.1 she didn't even bother she thought it was fun I had teg click pen at a half of a depth she had some milk about half an hour ago goat milk and some dark chocolate about an hour ago maybe

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed Type 1 at age 3 by my mother who was certain I had diabetes but the Dr wouldn't have any of it and said it was just normal child behaviour, so my mother took me to the childrens hospital in Melbourne and they had me diagnosed that day.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the reply. I will go to the Dr and say to him about it but I just wanted to have a wee idea and see what it was reading

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@coleyd Any health concerns for a toddler are best answered by your GP, it sounds like you need to have your mind out at rest and this is the best way to have your concerns addressed.

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kids soon adapt. My son now 4 was diagnosed at 15months(5months after me). Doing his own finger pricks by 2 and a half and injections by 3 and a half. He loves the independence. Glucose levels are the same for everyone but how everyone reacts to food, exercise etc is another matter

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also went through a phase of thinking my daughter was diabetic too. I used my meter on her many times while she was sleeping. Didn't feel a thing and luckily enough she isn't diabetic

Last edited: