Toes Gone From Numb To Sore

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
The toes on my left foot have always been a bit numb since I was diagnosed. Over the last few days they have been feeling sore rather than numb. In some ways I prefer that to the numbness, but I'm concerned that maybe I'm getting more nerve damage. There are no wounds or redness on or near them. My diet has been very good over the last six months, with some good BG figures day and night. However, I have recently had a close bereavement which has caused them to be around 8-9 in the morning, slowly reducing to about 5.0 by late afternoon, I know stress has a huge effect on my numbers, and that all I can do is keep eating properly until I feel better.

Has anyone else had this and if so, was it the start of trouble?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The toes on my left foot have always been a bit numb since I was diagnosed. Over the last few days they have been feeling sore rather than numb. In some ways I prefer that to the numbness, but I'm concerned that maybe I'm getting more nerve damage. There are no wounds or redness on or near them. My diet has been very good over the last six months, with some good BG figures day and night. However, I have recently had a close bereavement which has caused them to be around 8-9 in the morning, slowly reducing to about 5.0 by late afternoon, I know stress has a huge effect on my numbers, and that all I can do is keep eating properly until I feel better.

Has anyone else had this and if so, was it the start of trouble?
I haven't had this, but from my (rather extensive) reading I can assure you that congratulations are in order. Going from numb to painful means that your good diet has started to reverse and heal this diabetic complication. Eventually the pain should go away altogether. Sorry about the stress and bereavement, but you seem to be approaching this difficult time with great good sense.

Here is a quotation from Dr Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution":

"DIABETIC NEUROPATHIES

Diabetic neuropathies seem to improve in two phases—a rapid partial improvement that may occur within weeks, followed by sustained very slow improvement that goes on for years if blood sugars continue to remain normal. This is most apparent with numbness or pain in the toes. Some people will even comment,“ I know right away if my blood sugar is high, because my toes feel numb again.” On the other hand, several patients with total numbness of their feet have complained of severe pain after several months of near-normal blood sugars. This continues for a number of months and eventually resolves as sensation returns. It is as if nerves generate pain signals while they heal or “sprout.” The experience may be very frightening and distressing if you haven’t been warned that it might occur."

You can read more extracts from Dr B's classic book here: http://www.diabetes-book.com/normal-blood-sugars/

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I haven't had this, but from my (rather extensive) reading I can assure you that congratulations are in order. Going from numb to painful means that your good diet has started to reverse and heal this diabetic complication. Eventually the pain should go away altogether. Sorry about the stress and bereavement, but you seem to be approaching this difficult time with great good sense.

Here is a quotation from Dr Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution":

"DIABETIC NEUROPATHIES

Diabetic neuropathies seem to improve in two phases—a rapid partial improvement that may occur within weeks, followed by sustained very slow improvement that goes on for years if blood sugars continue to remain normal. This is most apparent with numbness or pain in the toes. Some people will even comment,“ I know right away if my blood sugar is high, because my toes feel numb again.” On the other hand, several patients with total numbness of their feet have complained of severe pain after several months of near-normal blood sugars. This continues for a number of months and eventually resolves as sensation returns. It is as if nerves generate pain signals while they heal or “sprout.” The experience may be very frightening and distressing if you haven’t been warned that it might occur."

You can read more extracts from Dr B's classic book here: http://www.diabetes-book.com/normal-blood-sugars/

Many thanks for your reassurance and kind words. Dr Bernstein is a hero of mine, I have read and followed his diet advice, especially when I was first diagnosed. Strange that I didn't see that section on neuropathy - I'll have to give him another read..

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for your reassurance and kind words. Dr Bernstein is a hero of mine, I have read and followed his diet advice, especially when I was first diagnosed. Strange that I didn't see that section on neuropathy - I'll have to give him another read..
Yes, Dr B is a hero of mine too. As well as possessing his book I listen to his Teleseminars towards the end of each month, by podcast, and he often gives this reassurance to people about neuropathy. "Diabetes Solution" is a huge tome and I have found it impossible to take it all in at one reading, or even going back several times. Sometimes I do find it easier to remember things he says if I have heard him say them, either in the Teleseminars or in his little "Diabetes University" videos. Very best wishes for the feet - I hope they get less painful soon.
PS I do find it reassuring to be able to listen to Dr B's Teleseminars month by month, as otherwise one might suspect that by this time, at the age of 84, he might be mentally diminished. No such thing! He is only rather tetchy with those who are slower on the uptake than himself.