ToesHE

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
HELP

My toenails on both big toes are growing in and when I mentioned it to my diabetic nurse she didnt say anything. I know I have to watch this sort of thing and I wont be seeing my nurse until mid october. It is starting to get very painful. I had them done once before when I lived in Holland and I dont really want to go through that painful nightmare again but I know I must.

I am churning up with fear at the thought of going through it again.

ChocFish

Hi candyrel, ingrown toenails, ouch, you poor thing :-(

Some people cut a V shape in the centre of the toe to take the pressure of the side where it is ingrowing, but I am not so sure, I think its more of an old wives tale.
Here is a link that gives you some ideas on self help, I would most definitely recommend a soak in warm water with Epsom salt added, soak for 20 minutes and then bend the soft nail out of the nail bed.
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00111.html

But please, please, PLEASE watch this condition, any signs of an infection or pus, you go straight to the doctor or A&E, you do not wait for even half a day, I know 4 people who had to have their big toe amputated through getting a bone infection as a result of an ingrown toenail and only one of these people was a diabetic.

I hope you get better soon.

Karen

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
Re: Toes

Thank you so much for getting back to me. No epsom salts would bicarb do???

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I do this quite regularly,last time the chiropodist did it cold I nearly passed out!!I soak my feet for about half an hour in hot water and Dettol then ease the nail out.

Katharine

The nurse can't help you but a chiropodist may well be able to.

Make an appt with your NHS one and if necessary go privately. It's not worth the agony not to.