Tofu How-to and Recipes

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
First of all -go here - for basic ideas on what to do with tofu to get good results

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/healthy/a18093/easy-tofu-cooking-tips-47012001/

This is a link to Good Housekeeping's top 38 tofu recipes. Veggie, not necessarily vegan.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/healthy/g2319/vegetarian-tofu-recipes/

Every veggie and vegan cookbook out there includes tofu recipes, but this site does 20 from assorted food writers

https://veganheaven.org/all-recipes/the-20-best-tofu-recipes/

Got to admit, I'll be nicking some of their ideas. Also, the Bosh! cookbook (second one due out on 4th April), and the Dirty Vegan both do some good recipes.

I hope these ideas help, but anyone with any favourite recipes - please add them!!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Reactions: Robinredbreast

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A while ago I made my own tofu from soy beans. It tasted so nice and fresh. If you like tofu you might want to try make your own. It’s quite fun. Normally I just eat it as it is cold with chopped spring onions and soy sauce... it’s a popular dish in japan called hiyayakko.

I love spring onions...
IMG_0238.jpg

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Thank you @michita - that's great. We've shied away from making our own but I do know it's quick and easy. We'll give it a go! I'd love it the way you show :hungry:

Reactions: Robinredbreast

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello WuTwo, if you like tofu I think it’s definitely worth making your own if you have the time and energy :) . I bought magnesium chloride online and used milk carton. Fresh one tastes much better than the store bought one

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Thanks @michita - good to know. Mind you, fresh made food always tastes better than shop bought, I think.

Reactions: michita

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

That looks really tasty. I like crispy tofu and love sesame, and peanut butter. Can't fail really, can it :happy:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this thread. I see Tofu is low carb. Every little helps.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I like the Cauldron marinated tofu, just use in stir frying. I have a tofu bourguignon recipe too if anyone likes?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great thread already got some ideas for ways to have tofu. Didn't know you could eat it cold just as it comes and I would love to try making my own

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I like the Cauldron marinated tofu, just use in stir frying. I have a tofu bourguignon recipe too if anyone likes?
Yes please!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First of all -go here - for basic ideas on what to do with tofu to get good results

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/healthy/a18093/easy-tofu-cooking-tips-47012001/

This is a link to Good Housekeeping's top 38 tofu recipes. Veggie, not necessarily vegan.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/healthy/g2319/vegetarian-tofu-recipes/

Every veggie and vegan cookbook out there includes tofu recipes, but this site does 20 from assorted food writers

https://veganheaven.org/all-recipes/the-20-best-tofu-recipes/

Got to admit, I'll be nicking some of their ideas. Also, the Bosh! cookbook (second one due out on 4th April), and the Dirty Vegan both do some good recipes.

I hope these ideas help, but anyone with any favourite recipes - please add them!!

Okay. These look great. I am going to give it a shot. I now understand why it has to be pressed, too.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Tofu bourgignon (for one multiply as need be)

140g tofu
1/2 small onion
As many button mushrooms as you like
Place in ovenproof dish
Pour over 140ml veg stock
1 table spoon tomato purée
Dollop of red wine
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 table spoon cornflower
Medium oven 40 mins.
Serve with whatever you like.

Reactions: WuTwo

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Mel dCP post #18. Drink the rest of the wine...