Tofu How-to and Recipes

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@Diakat - thank you! That looks quick, easy and scrummy :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@michita - you are right. Home made tofu is the best! Thank you for being the push I needed to get me to make some. I've just made my third batch!

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@michita - you are right. Home made tofu is the best! Thank you for being the push I needed to get me to make some. I've just made my third batch!

Hi WuTwo I’m glad you enjoyed homemade tofu :) I’m a bit suspicious of long expiry date store bought ones have and what’s added to make it last so long (maybe nothing but we don’t know). I might try make some over the Easter weekend as you now inspired me :) You can also keep the soybean pulp (called okara), microwave to remove moisture and use in the cooking. Okara is the most popular low carb flour substitute available in Japan. In japan it’s sold in very fine powder form as flour substitute. I think you can also make tofu from store bought soya milk if you are feeling lazy although I haven’t tried that yet. I might try this easier version!!

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I tried it with the milk yesterday - I used Alpro wholebean unsweetened. Got a terrific yield from it, and it was soooo simple! I'm happy with this method and will use it for all our tofu from now on.

I've recommended this method to a friend at work. She and her husband lived in China for a year and she adores tofu. Her husband makes kimchi for his Korean students here in the UK and will pass me the recipe. I've not tried eating kimchi - I'm hoping it's OK.

Reactions: michita

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yesterday I had stir fried tofu and crunchy veg in a pita bread with sesame sauce. Bang bang tofu.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I tried it with the milk yesterday - I used Alpro wholebean unsweetened. Got a terrific yield from it, and it was soooo simple! I'm happy with this method and will use it for all our tofu from now on.

I've recommended this method to a friend at work. She and her husband lived in China for a year and she adores tofu. Her husband makes kimchi for his Korean students here in the UK and will pass me the recipe. I've not tried eating kimchi - I'm hoping it's OK.

Was it easy to make? I've only ever had shop bought.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Yep. Dead simple.

Just make sure your nigari is within date. The first lot I bought didn't work so I bought some new nigari on Ebay and it came in a sealed container with a date stamp. It worked perfectly! I got the first lot from The Tofu Box on Amazon and on comparing the two the new stuff had a slight smell and the first lot didn't. Maybe the first lot was out of date. I dunno.

I used the method shown in the site shown below, and it has loads of pictures. Don't worry about having a posh tofu mould. Anything that drains really well will do.

https://www.messyvegancook.com/homemade-tofu-a-tutorial/

and because I was using ready made milk I joined in at the section headed "Keep it Warm Buddy". I used 3 litres of milk and 3 tsp of nigari, and 200ml hot water from the kettle (boiled not too long previously). I guess you could change amounts if you keep in proportion.

I can thoroughly recommend her method of initial straining - dunk a strainer into the saucepan and scoop the fluid out with a cup. Also, when it comes to pressing the tofu, I've taken to pressing mine with the heavy chopping board for just over an hour because we like extra firm tofu.

To be honest, it couldn't be easier. Hot up milk to nearly boiling (stir to prevent sticking/burning). Add nigari dissolved in hot water. Stir. Take off heat. Put lid on pot and leave for ten minutes. Come back, strain, pour into mould, put weight on and go away for an hour. And that's it....

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently, on a trip, there was a lot of tofu on offer, and I was sorely tempted to try it, but in the end was more sudced by toher things, but having read the various ideas on this and other threads now, I'll be experimenting next week, when my OH is away for a few days, striking a small white ball pretty hard, towards a stick with a flag on it.

I'm thinking a safe introduction would be a stir fry of some sort, with a favoured stir-fry sauce/dressing?

I know this bit is a bit off-topic a bit, but when I read this thread title, I can't thing helping it should read, "Tofu, How to with WuTwo."

OK, I'll never be a jingle or advertising copywrighter.

I'll get m' coat.

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Yep - I think the recipe sites above have some stir fry ideas but to be honest, a lot of the time we marinade it in teriyaki or hoi-sin sauce and then stir fry. Or in soy sauce. I'm particularly fond of soy sauce mixed with garlic powder as a marinade but then I'm terrified of vampires so I add garlic to everything .....:joyful: (well, that's my excuse for the garlic-breath!)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Also - one huge point in its favour - Tofu Never Screams.

(I just bought a T shirt with that slogan on it - love it! Wondering if I can get away with it in the office - I work in the back office of a business that functions mainly on-line)