told that a pump would be advantages to me

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
sorry donellysdogs u500 insulin no not at this stage????

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
How about progressing with insulin sensitivity website? Any news? How are levels? Have you looked at bdec website?

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
levels are good to day got up to 19.7 no breci lunch was 21.8 had some salad tea time was 27.9 that's a very good day. rang the sensitivity unit again to day told to ask to be re-refer me to them. not yet to dbec will do that now thanks

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Phil.. I'm blunt to the point.. Sorry, one of my less good characteristics!!
I want you to have the best that you can have to get those levels down and just think that you need to concentrate on you.
Did you do the increases in insulin consultant asked? It would go in uour favour if you did?
Have you actually had the GAD test for type 1?

Reactions: 2 people

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
yep I have increased my insulin and no for the gad test he said its not needed as I am type 2. all he wanted was for me to except the pills and see what happens with them he spoke to me and my friend like we had no right to have an opinion of our own but just do as he says.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ok.. Phil. You really need to know if you are a type 1 from the type 1 tests that the GP can organise.

If you are a type 1 half of the fight is effectively over...

Please excuse my ignorance. What age group are you? And whats your bmi... There may well be other reasons why the ignorance of NHS staff may just be classifying you as type 2..

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Phil do you do correction doses to bring your blood glucose down? Levels in the 20s are still toxic. If you can get those levels down to single digits you are going to be just fine.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi I am 53 my bmi is 24 my hb1ca is 96.
yes I do correction doses. I take my apidra 10 minuets before meals (that's if I have any thing to eat) and then do a test 2 and 3 hours after and the do a correction. now the dsn have said not to do that leave then correction till next meal and not to take my apidra before going to bed, as I was doing the correction doses last thing the going up to bed and taking my lantus . I have tried taking the apidra before a meal, in the middle of a meal, after a meal, splitting it. and no change. the only time it did drop was when I had the bright idea that may be if I stopped eating anything that may be that may re kick every thing and it may start working but the loest it dropped to was 13.3 . I have lots of no carb meals and I do not now eat when my bm is above 22 to try and drop it. but was told off by the dsn for doing that. I can not do right for doing wrong lol . all I know is I want my life back, to eat, drink what I wanted when I wanted.(please, pretty please) or is that asking to much ?????.

iHs

How much does 1u as a correction lower yr bg level by? Do you know about the 100 rule at all? If not, its ecplained on the BDEC website and on other websites if you do a google.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
hi I am 53 my bmi is 24 my hb1ca is 96.
yes I do correction doses. I take my apidra 10 minuets before meals (that's if I have any thing to eat) and then do a test 2 and 3 hours after and the do a correction. now the dsn have said not to do that leave then correction till next meal and not to take my apidra before going to bed, as I was doing the correction doses last thing the going up to bed and taking my lantus . I have tried taking the apidra before a meal, in the middle of a meal, after a meal, splitting it. and no change. the only time it did drop was when I had the bright idea that may be if I stopped eating anything that may be that may re kick every thing and it may start working but the loest it dropped to was 13.3 . I have lots of no carb meals and I do not now eat when my bm is above 22 to try and drop it. but was told off by the dsn for doing that. I can not do right for doing wrong lol . all I know is I want my life back, to eat, drink what I wanted when I wanted.(please, pretty please) or is that asking to much ?????.
Hi Phil, perhaps try injecting at least 20 mins if not 30 mins before you eat and see what that does for you. Do you eat a lot of fat? I ask because some people find that they need a lot of basal if they lc/hf, so worth looking at this aspect.
Also I note that you use apidra, this has a duration of 3 or 4 hours so worth considering a different insulin. I also suggested in a previous post to look at the type of insulin being used as some people have to use analogues by the bucketful, where as a different type of insulin this isn't the case.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi
for correction dsn has put me on 3 insulin to 1 mmol and they have changed insulin twice now . will try the 20 minuets before a meal as not thought of that thanks for the tip guys.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all update
a letter to day from my ccg. copy to consultant and to gp

the letter goes on to say that insulin pumps are rarely used in type 2 diabetes, however through an IFR application this can be made by yourself or the consultant direct to [email protected]. it may certainly benefit some patients with complex needs.

there is NO issue of barriers to care here if clinical recommendation is received at IFR.

I would be very grateful if you could liaise with Philip and his consultant to ensure this matter is resolved.

phone call from G.P. to go and see him tomorrow at 10.30. I am not going to hold my breath and I am going open minded.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hi all update
a letter to day from my ccg. copy to consultant and to gp

the letter goes on to say that insulin pumps are rarely used in type 2 diabetes, however through an IFR application this can be made by yourself or the consultant direct to [email protected]. it may certainly benefit some patients with complex needs.

there is NO issue of barriers to care here if clinical recommendation is received at IFR.

I would be very grateful if you could liaise with Philip and his consultant to ensure this matter is resolved.

phone call from G.P. to go and see him tomorrow at 10.30. I am not going to hold my breath and I am going open minded.

Great result, so far. Pereverance does pay off.

How ur levels now?

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi donnellys dogs hope you are well??

having a grate day to day. had a bit of a bad night woke up at 3.40 bed ringing wet with sweat bloods at 42 gave my self meter said to correct with 42 units had that had a shower changed bed. got up at 7.30 bloods at 19.5, dinner 18.6 and tea 29.3 only had 1 round of toast at dinner but 18-19 is very good for me. yip heeee lol

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
hi donnellys dogs hope you are well??

having a grate day to day. had a bit of a bad night woke up at 3.40 bed ringing wet with sweat bloods at 42 gave my self meter said to correct with 42 units had that had a shower changed bed. got up at 7.30 bloods at 19.5, dinner 18.6 and tea 29.3 only had 1 round of toast at dinner but 18-19 is very good for me. yip heeee lol
Phil, what meter do you have for a reading of 42, I didn't know any meter went that high :eek:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Phil, hi

To go on a pump you will still need to be fully conversant with altering bolus and basals. So please try to get to grips on thinking howto do this with your current regime and trying to get to grips with having to adjust doses.

If you run at high levels now, if You had a pump failure, or occlusion, or bad site etc with your current levels, well you would be in even more serious sh*t.

Occlusions etc do occur with every pump. I would also recommend that you pursue the u500 insulins..

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi carbsrok

the Aviva expert says HI then go into your report menu and it gives it there but it needs to be set up the dsn did mine and set it to read out in data.

Last edited by a moderator:

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi donnelysdogs

at the mo I am taking my apidra to how many carbs in food about to eat and then adjusting that and adding in the correction dose as well. to night going to up my lantus by another 10 units ( that is what the hospital have done the last 4 week any way) bs will fall for 3/4 days then if things fallow suit it will go back up. then the dreaded red spot on injection site will start and the iching for a couple of days then it all goes back as is.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thats good to hear Phil.. Sort of if you know what I mean....:)

Hope you get lower levels tomorrow.

By showing confidence to adjust and understand meal rises and bolus ratio's etc it will give your HCP's more proof that you could adjust to a pump. My only doubt from being a pump user is that the largest cartridge currently on the market in pumps is 315 units, and your risk of very, very serious dka is phenomally high with things such as occlusions etc especially if you seem to be getting red spots after an injection. Cannulas stay in your body for 2-3 days so even if you are able to get a pump, the HCP's still have to consider these risk factors....

Do persevere and certainly talk to IRF about u500 insulin as this is comptabile with pumps and would minimise the qty of insulin having to be pushed through it, and thefefore all the swops that would be necessary with the small cartridge sizes.