Tomatoes... Oops

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
well, I needed something different tonight, something that said "how much garlic?" So because I didn't get any almond flour today I made my cauliflower pizza.

So made the sauce, onions, garlic, a bit more garlic and slightly more garlic... And a small tin of chopped tomatoes.

Ok when I first started testing BS I decided to leave them alone... But I've been active today, blood sugar 4.3 and I thought it can't do that much trouble to my levels...

Well... I didn't eat the tin, but side said 9g carbs of which 8.9g was sugar.... Ok I thought but only going to use about 1/5 of the can as my pizza sauce...

1/2 an hour tested blood... 8.7..... 8.7! Ahhh what have I done... I thought the lidl protein rolls were bad... It's like I've just thrown sugar into my body.. I suppose I have but only about 2gs worth.. So now I'm off out with the dogs to try to get this down

Looks like another good for me to avoid again :(

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
You're obviously very sensitive to carbs. It might be an idea to experiment with smaller amounts of new foods while testing before eating and then at one, two and three hours after.

I find drinking a pint of water helps bring BG down a bit.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You did good. A walk is just the thing to do in those cases.

To my surprise, the sugar content of canned tomato products vary quite a bit. Next time you're at the grocery store, try doing a comparison of nutrition labels. :)

Reactions: Mommaof2

Hotpepper20000

To my surprise, the sugar content of canned tomato products vary quite a bit. Next time you're at the grocery store, try doing a comparison of nutrition labels. :)
I buy fresh Roma tomatoes and make a sauce with them. I find that doesn't make much of a difference with my BG

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Hotpepper200000 would love to learn how to make my own sauce. Any guidance would be most appreciated. :)

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You're obviously very sensitive to carbs. It might be an idea to experiment with smaller amounts of new foods while testing before eating and then at one, two and three hours after.

I find drinking a pint of water helps bring BG down a bit.
Hi Chook

It certainly is a learning curve :) thanks for the water tip, will try that

Hotpepper20000

@Hotpepper200000 would love to learn how to make my own sauce. Any guidance would be most appreciated. :)
I just sauté chopped romas with olive oil and what ever dried herbs you like. Basil and oregano are good ones. You can add diced onion and garlic too. Depends when you use it for. Salt and pepper and blend it. If you blend it you don't have to peel the tomatoes. Simmer until it's a thick as you want. I sometimes add a splash of balsamic vinegar.
I buy the romas when they are on sale and freeze the sauce. You can use other tomatoes. They have more liquid when cooked so it takes longer to thicken.

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Winnie I'm going to do that, it was only a small can, but I thought the carb values were not to bad for the entire tin, I only used about 1/5 of it the rest is in the fridge..

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just sauté chopped romas with olive oil and what ever dried herbs you like. Basil and oregano are good ones. You can add diced onion and garlic too. Depends when you use it for. Salt and pepper and blend it. If you blend it you don't have to peel the tomatoes. Simmer until it's a thick as you want. I sometimes add a splash of balsamic vinegar.
I buy the romas when they are on sale and freeze the sauce. You can use other tomatoes. They have more liquid when cooked so it takes longer to thicken.
Hi Hotpepper,

I would have used fresh tomatoes as last time I made the pizza I used them, and your right it didn't hit my BS as much, I usually blend the tomatoes before I cook them then blend again, it's strange what we get used to. I do prefer fresh but as I say didn't have any... But basmaltic vinegar... Whyhaven't I tried that before... My daughter loves plum tomatoes cut into 4s in basmaltic vinegar... That's really going to give it a nice taste as I love it.... All I can say is humph wish I knew that before :)

As for freezing, usually have a load of fresh tomatoes in the summer, both my mum and neighbour grow them and I get the surplus, and cook it an freeze it.. But I've run out of those as well...

I'm going to be gutted if tomatoes are only going to be a treat food

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have to say though, now onto my fifth week low carb and sugar and it's changing the way I'm looking at food. Yes I'm having spicy, yes I'm cooking everything from scratch again and to be honest I'm enjoying my food a lot more. I'm not missing pasta of rice at all, I substituted cauliflower rice in and I've tried courgette spaghetti a couple f times and it's nice just not pasta...

I've eaten a more varied diet than I have in years, and my carb intake for the last two weeks has been under 30g per day. I just want yo check in with my doc on Friday to make sure it's going as well as I think it is :)

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
W

winnie the dog walk did it brought them diwn to 6.3 still high but that's an hour and 10 mins after I've eaten I'm going to test again before bed and see what happens.

I'm dog sitting for the next few days, they are not my own but I do walk them three times a week when they are not with me... Added to that I also walk my daughters... Erm did I say I walk, I should say I'm walked dragged and pulled along by my daughters staffie three times a week as well as my friend lab once a week... It was a conspiracy to get me walking but it's paid off in leaps and bounds.

Hotpepper20000

Hi Hotpepper,

I would have used fresh tomatoes as last time I made the pizza I used them, and your right it didn't hit my BS as much, I usually blend the tomatoes before I cook them then blend again, it's strange what we get used to. I do prefer fresh but as I say didn't have any... But basmaltic vinegar... Whyhaven't I tried that before... My daughter loves plum tomatoes cut into 4s in basmaltic vinegar... That's really going to give it a nice taste as I love it.... All I can say is humph wish I knew that before :)

As for freezing, usually have a load of fresh tomatoes in the summer, both my mum and neighbour grow them and I get the surplus, and cook it an freeze it.. But I've run out of those as well...

I'm going to be gutted if tomatoes are only going to be a treat food
Tomatoes is one of those things I will not give up. I have a greenhouse and comeJuly/August i could feed the whole neighbourhood.
I have found ways to incorporate them into my meals. In a salad with oil and feta, cut in half and baked with cheese, and homemade sauce. I find if I eat them with fat they have little effect on my BG
You do have to be careful with balsamic as it is high in carbs but you don't need much.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1/2 an hour tested blood... 8.7..... 8.7! Ahhh what have I done... I thought the lidl protein rolls were bad... It's like I've just thrown sugar into my body.. I suppose I have but only about 2gs worth.. So now I'm off out with the dogs to try to get this down

Are you saying this was a test half an hour after first bite/eating? If so there is nothing particularly abnormal about that level. Did you test again at an hour and at 2 hours? Sorry if I've misunderstood.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
pizza sauce, first off look at the carbs on tins if using and tomato puree. all you need for a sauce is puree, a little garlic, a tiny few tomatoes from the tin no juice and sone oregano ( or use fresh desseded and skinned tomato ) put it in a pan to cook out (10-15 mins on a simmer ) tinned toms and puree have added sugar so keep your eye on the carbs per 100g, I normally use fresh tomatoes but theose still have carbs but fewer than tinned

S

serenity648

What was your blood sugar level before eating the tomatoes etc? The rise is more important than the effect, at this point. And did you test 2 hours after, or sooner?

You may find that it was only a minimal rise, and once your base level is lower, you can eat tomatoes and still be OK with your levels.

edited to add: what else did you have with the tomatoes?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm such a geek sometimes. Something I've done in the past is to test every 15 minutes to get an idea of how my glucose level rises, peaks, and falls. I measure at 45 minutes, 60 minutes, 75 minutes, 90 minutes 105 minutes, and 120 minutes, sometimes for the third hour too.

What I learned is that my glucose level peaks at 60 or 75 minutes, and by 120 minutes it's dropped quite a bit.

The rest of the time, I test pre-meal, and 2-hours post meal. If I ate something that I think will be a problem, I'll test at 1 1/2 hours then got for a walk, then test again when I get back.

Interestingly, when I first started low carbing, my numbers were pretty awful the first 2 weeks but continued to improve over the first year. Also, knocking my glucose levels down with walking didn't work well at first, but got better and better if I stuck to walking every day or every other day.

Hang in there. Tomatoes were a problem for me initially, but I did become more tolerant over time...thankfully. I love tomatoes!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are tomatos healthy???

My gastro chap told me to avoid - and onions....

Since avoiding no more acid stomach!! Cant take omeprazoles, gaviscons etc so diet was only way to improve..

To me, I eat fantastic choices of foods.. without onions, tomatos, garlic.

If it spikes, is it worth it??

Reactions: Bs0lth

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
W

winnie the dog walk did it brought them diwn to 6.3 still high but that's an hour and 10 mins after I've eaten I'm going to test again before bed and see what happens.

I'm dog sitting for the next few days, they are not my own but I do walk them three times a week when they are not with me... Added to that I also walk my daughters... Erm did I say I walk, I should say I'm walked dragged and pulled along by my daughters staffie three times a week as well as my friend lab once a week... It was a conspiracy to get me walking but it's paid off in leaps and bounds.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are tomatos healthy???

My gastro chap told me to avoid - and onions....

Since avoiding no more acid stomach!! Cant take omeprazoles, gaviscons etc so diet was only way to improve..

To me, I eat fantastic choices of foods.. without onions, tomatos, garlic.

If it spikes, is it worth it??

It's all so individual isn't it? :)

I eat onions every day, and tomatoes quite a bit too with no problems now, though initially, tomatoes did affect my glucose levels. Some people cannot tolerate onion or garlic and should not eat them.

I'm not able to have wheat, rye, barley, coffee or chocolate. Like you and others, I've adapted. :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you! :)