Tomatoes??

Shelleymomma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, apologies for the possibly silly question, can I eat tinned tomatoes in the same way as fresh tomatoes in a low carb diet for type 2? Does anyone have problems with them? Are they to be avoided?.... I know that they can have an effect on inflammation but with respect to low carb, can they be used?....I'm newly diagnosed and still finding my way, thanks for reading.

S

Shar67

I use puréed peppers or cream cheese instead, though green tomatoes are better than red

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I would say in moderation.. but eat and test is always the best way to tell what your body will do if you eat them.

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I eat tinned tomatoes, but dependent on what you consider low carb. I restrict myself to 20 carbs a day so would only eat 100g of tomatoes from a 400g tin. 400g is 16 carbs, and 100g is 4 carbs. Hope this helps? Another element you may consider is that some people regard cooked tomatoes as good for reducing high blood pressure, if that is one of your condition?

Reactions: 2 people

Shelleymomma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I would say in moderation.. but eat and test is always the best way to tell what your body will do if you eat them.

I will, thank you...was just wondering if they were one of the "known" problems.

Shelleymomma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I eat tinned tomatoes, but dependent on what you consider low carb. I restrict myself to 20 carbs a day so would only eat 100g of tomatoes from a 400g tin. 400g is 16 carbs, and 100g is 4 carbs. Hope this helps? Another element you may consider is that some people regard cooked tomatoes as good for reducing high blood pressure, if that is one of your condition?

Thanks, I would only have a spoonful but just wanted to double check....I seem to be doing that a lot recently, ha ha.Thanks again.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I prefer my tomatoes not out of the tin, freshly picked just coming up to ripening.
I eat lots of them, always have one with my daily salad!

But do check your levels after!

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I would only have a spoonful but just wanted to double check....I seem to be doing that a lot recently, ha ha.Thanks again.
Remember! A spoonful is NOT a precise measurement! perhaps you need every diabetics habit of weighing precisely in Grammes and milligrammes. Then you will see what minute changes do to your sugar levels.You will find that small changes in quantities can make a big difference,s and is an important early habit in your newrole as diabetes manager.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just have a look at the nutrition label on the tin. That will tell you the total carb content for 100g. and also for the whole tin. Then decide how many to eat, then test your levels to see what effect they had.

I am a cherry tomato fan and never eat tinned ones. Cherry toms with my salads, normal fresh toms for cooking.

Do you have any links to studies on whether they cause inflammation? If they do, I should be riddled with inflammatory problems the amount I eat!. (But I'm not) ;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember! A spoonful is NOT a precise measurement! perhaps you need every diabetics habit of weighing precisely in Grammes and milligrammes. Then you will see what minute changes do to your sugar levels.You will find that small changes in quantities can make a big difference,s and is an important early habit in your newrole as diabetes manager.
Really? I never weigh anything just eat Very Low Carb so don;t feel the need to...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? I never weigh anything just eat Very Low Carb so don;t feel the need to...

I weighed everything until I learned how to recognise portion sizes on my plate. I counted carbs and calories. I don't need to do this now. I still remember the look on my husband's face when he served up our meal one evening. I grabbed the jug scales, scraped my peas off the plate, and weighed them! He was gobsmacked, but then I measured them with a spoon, so no need to weigh them again. OK that's OTT but it's how committed I was to getting things right.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have any links to studies on whether they cause inflammation? If they do, I should be riddled with inflammatory problems the amount I eat!
I don't have links to studies, but tomatoes belong to the nightshade family and can be problematic for some types of arthritis and autoimmune conditions. People who follow the Paleo autoimmune protocol are advised to avoid nightshades, especially during the elimination phase of the diet when they are trying to minimise inflammation.

Shelleymomma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

That's definitely a habit I need to develop, thanks.

Shelleymomma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just have a look at the nutrition label on the tin. That will tell you the total carb content for 100g. and also for the whole tin. Then decide how many to eat, then test your levels to see what effect they had.

I am a cherry tomato fan and never eat tinned ones. Cherry toms with my salads, normal fresh toms for cooking.

Do you have any links to studies on whether they cause inflammation? If they do, I should be riddled with inflammatory problems the amount I eat!. (But I'm not) ;)

No, no links I'm afraid. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I know lots of people who have a problem eating too many tomatoes, luckily I'm not one of them....for now.......it comes up in conversation a lot though.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I eat relatively huge ammounts of fresh cherry tomatoes with no major effect on my blood glucose levels, Snce I became T2 I have never used tinned tomatoes purely because one can never be 100% sure there is no added sugars or thickening agents but I am going to look into the arthritis connection.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, apologies for the possibly silly question, can I eat tinned tomatoes in the same way as fresh tomatoes in a low carb diet for type 2? Does anyone have problems with them? Are they to be avoided?.... I know that they can have an effect on inflammation but with respect to low carb, can they be used?....I'm newly diagnosed and still finding my way, thanks for reading.
I am using them on LCHF, but read the labels. Some cans have added sugar, and the carb content differs between peeled and chopped. Worse than these are the jars of pasta sauce type of product. Mars recently re-formulated their Dol Mio range because of complaints of very high added sugars. Stir fry packets are also deceptively high in hidden sugars. So, yes tinned toms for make it yourself is better.

Shelleymomma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am using them on LCHF, but read the labels. Some cans have added sugar, and the carb content differs between peeled and chopped. Worse than these are the jars of pasta sauce type of product. Mars recently re-formulated their Dol Mio range because of complaints of very high added sugars. Stir fry packets are also deceptively high in hidden sugars. So, yes tinned toms for make it yourself is better.

Thank you.

Mandy Hexter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use fresh tomatoes and make Gazpacho thank fully it doesn't seem to cause me a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app