CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, snobby behaviour
Hi all,

T1D and I'm 95% sure I have bacterial tonsillitis. Had a sore throat for about 2 days and today I've noticed white spots on tonsils as well as them being painful and swollen but have no cough or cold.

Should I see the doctor? I know they don't always prescribe antibiotics and often it goes by itself. But aware that being ill can play havoc with BGLs.

What do you guys advise.

TIA

Carly

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @CarlyB - it's best to go to your GP and get this checked out and know for sure what is going on, then go with how you are feeling, if your not feeling poorly then carry on as usual. Just keep an eye on your BG levels as for me the surest sign of illness is when my Bg levels react, then follow sick day rules if necessary, hope you sail through this ;)

Reactions: CarlyB

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @CarlyB - it's best to go to your GP and get this checked out and know for sure what is going on, then go with how you at feeling, if your not feeling poorly then carry on as usual. Just keep an eye on your BG levels as for me the surest sign of illness is when my Bg levels react, then follow sick day rules if necessary, hope you sail through this ;)

Thanks for that. My sugars have been a bit out of sorts but had put it down to my cycle. But will monitor more closely

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This was exactly the same as me in January. It was the first time i had been unwell since diagnosis. I went to the college nurse who said it would be okay, come back tomorrow if its worse(which it was) so i went back. She sent me straight to the doctors. The doctor prescribed me a mouth spray for a couple of days and antibiotics if it got no better, as they didn't want to take the risk due to me being a new diabetic. It didn't improve so i went and took the antibiotics. Then it started to clear up in a few days! My sugar levels weren't too messed up, as i was still really in honeymoon. So yes, i think you should go to the doctors to get checked out. Better to be safe then sorry after all!

Reactions: CarlyB

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This was exactly the same as me in January. It was the first time i had been unwell since diagnosis. I went to the college nurse who said it would be okay, come back tomorrow if its worse(which it was) so i went back. She sent me straight to the doctors. The doctor prescribed me a mouth spray for a couple of days and antibiotics if it got no better, as they didn't want to take the risk due to me being a new diabetic. It didn't improve so i went and took the antibiotics. Then it started to clear up in a few days! My sugar levels weren't too messed up, as i was still really in honeymoon. So yes, i think you should go to the doctors to get checked out. Better to be safe then sorry after all!

Thank you. Booked in for Friday in case it doesn't get better

Reactions: Amy993