too many hypos

hot dog

Hi need some advice, i am 39 years old male and have had type 1 for 14years the last 3 years my levels have been really bad either high or low, am self employed and work is really busy which dont help, i have on average about 4 hypos a day which is getting me down i dont drink eat all the good stuff still cant control, any advice would be great, hot dog.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi hot dog,

Which insulin regimen do you use?

Also, what are you using to correct hypos?

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi, I too would be interested to know what insulin you're on.
Have you reported your probs to your doctor, if so what did he/she advise?
Jus

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Stress.
When i get stressed, my levels get completely whacked.
I forget to eat, only have half a sandwhich etc, especially if i'm under pressure and busy.

If you are self employed make lunch a priority. Set apart at least 20 mins, unplug phone etc and have a good meal and a rest. Anyone who rings won't mind being spoken to 20 mins later, (oh, sorry, was on the telephone), and it'll make everything a lot easier.
It won't cure it, but i think it'll make it better.
Speak to your doctor as well, if your lifestyle has changed then your medication needs have too.
It may be that a pump is more convenient and better for you, but i wouldn't advise that unless you have an idea of why you're going so low.

Good luck, :)

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Defnitely need to know more about your regime. Maybe the balance between your fast-acting and longer-acting insulin isn't right. Getting that right tends to even things out.

Giraffe

Wow, 4 hypos a day, that sucks a**e.

You need to eat! And do less insulin! I think just about covers it...

Are they always at the same times? Is there a pattern? I used to always get hypos at about 10.30, after getting up at 7 and rushing around taking kids to school, getting myself to work..by mid morning I would crash.

Finally the penny dropped and I had one extra weetabix and a couple of less units of insulin, and I was fine.

Maybe carry something in your pockets that you can snack on, muesli bar or something?

Set your phone alarm for regular intervals, test and eat/and or inject.

Good luck!

hot dog

hi people, i am on novorapid i take 16units at breakfast 10 at lunch 14 at dinner and take 12 of levemir at bed, i think this is too much insulin but the dr dont, like i said have to many hypos have reduced insulin doses sometimes but still get hypos,

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi hot dog,

Firstly, a single shot of Levemir will rarely give basal cover for a full 24 hours. A twice daily split dose usually works better. Currently, your Levemir is really only a dusk to dawn insulin, leaving your rapid insulin to do its best during the day - with erratic results.

Secondly, are you using an insulin/carb ratio for meals and adjusting it for exercise?
If not, then you might want to ask your doctor about going on a D.A.F.N.E (dose
adjustment for normal eating) course.

Regards,
timo.

Giraffe

I om on novorapid and levermir also, am thinking of changing to a split levermir dose - if I did 16 units of novorapid for breakfast I would have hypos as well, that sounds quite a lot but obviously each person is different.

This morning I have had a yoghurt and banana and only hd 6 units...an average for a meal is 10.

So maybe cut your breakfast dose?

I have 32 units of levermir at night about 9 pm, and wake at around 7 and my sugars are usually between 5 and 7 so am happy with that.

Maybe more levermir and less novorapid? The novorapid can be quite ar**y if you don't eat enough!

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree, sounds like Levemir not lasting through and your Novorapid dose is unnaturally high to counteract the Levemir wearing off. You probably need to split Levemir and reduce the Novorapid. More even Levemir coverage should level things out all round.