Tooth Extraction And Being Diabetic

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know how long it takes? I am so scared I dont have the appointment till Tuesday it so had fo find nhs dentist I should have not left it like this. How long did it take to take him?
He hasn't had the appointment through yet

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Have to have two teeth out because they are worn thin and one has an abcess for which I am taking antibiotics , I too am concerned about having teeth out in case it does not heal properly due to having diabetis.... good to see I am not alone in my fears...

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I have a tiny mouth and big (weak) teeth due to ****** genetic dice so I've had many teeth pulled. I've been diabetic for all my pulls and my hba1cs have been at 7 and over 13. I never had any complications or infections. It did hurt but my week teeth have abnormally deep roots so that was the issue there. So deep at one point the dentist said if she didn't get it on her next pull then she would have to put me give up and send me to hospital!

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Have to have two teeth out because they are worn thin and one has an abcess for which I am taking antibiotics , I too am concerned about having teeth out in case it does not heal properly due to having diabetis.... good to see I am not alone in my fears...

I've had nearly 10 teeth pulled in my lifetime, baby ones and adult ones and I have had no complications at any point. I got tootheache once by cracking my tooth on an apple but I healed fine and within normal time scales with all of them :)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
thank you ...eased my mind some what, must be the fear of the dentist causing my apprehension, will be glad when it over with :arghh:

Cindee jensen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had all my teeth extracted and now wear dentures, some of the extractions healed nicely and no bother but others were a nightmare as the sockets got infected and the pain was unbearable but all in all better to get the tooth out as you forget about the pain in time, my diabetes is not controlled and if you do what the dentist says like rinse with salt water etc you will be fine x
I spent a lot of money on my teeth before being diagnosed with diabetes, I may have had it and it was not diagnosed but I grew up being teased for crooked teeth so when I became an adult and employed I paid a lot of money to have my teeth straightened. I'm on metformin and my diabetes is somewhat controlled, but my heart is broken as all of my teeth began cracking off within a 2 yr period of time since the diabetes. 3 have cracked off to the gum line and my dentist is sending me to an oral surgeon to have the 3 teeth cut out. Iam so scared. I have Cardiomiopathy also. You said the sockets in your gums became infected, did they prescribe an antibiotic before pulling your teeth? And would you advise having all 3 pulled at the same time? That seems like it would be more difficult to heal. My dentist is not very sympathetic and said he has not dealt with a diabetic and heart patient before. So Iam terrified. Have you had all your teeth pulled out? I want to save as many teeth as I can.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spent a lot of money on my teeth before being diagnosed with diabetes, I may have had it and it was not diagnosed but I grew up being teased for crooked teeth so when I became an adult and employed I paid a lot of money to have my teeth straightened. I'm on metformin and my diabetes is somewhat controlled, but my heart is broken as all of my teeth began cracking off within a 2 yr period of time since the diabetes. 3 have cracked off to the gum line and my dentist is sending me to an oral surgeon to have the 3 teeth cut out. Iam so scared. I have Cardiomiopathy also. You said the sockets in your gums became infected, did they prescribe an antibiotic before pulling your teeth? And would you advise having all 3 pulled at the same time? That seems like it would be more difficult to heal. My dentist is not very sympathetic and said he has not dealt with a diabetic and heart patient before. So Iam terrified. Have you had all your teeth pulled out? I want to save as many teeth as I can.
Sorry but the person you have requested info from hasn't been on the site for almost 3 years so you probably won't get an answer. Maybe try a new post in the diabetes discussions forum?