Tooth loss with type 1 diabetes

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After 15 years with type 1, I have no fillings and my hygienist always complements me on my gums.
I am hoping this will continue ... and, if not, I will blame it on old age rather than diabetes.

You have no fillings ? That’s unbelievable.

I have lots of fillings, 2 crowns but no missing teeth :) I think since I was diagnosed my bs control is good I haven’t had any problems since and my dentist gave me gold star last time. I don’t think my hygienist likes me as I drink too much coffee and red wine

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your comments.

My blood sugars are actually good and have been for many years.

It is not my teeth that are rotting, it is the gums that are receding. I do visit the dental hygienist (at great expense).

I have always had a good diet and very rarely drink fizzy drinks - maybe one can a year!

I know I am moaning about this and should be grateful that after 46 years of diabetes this is the only complication I have.
Diabetes? Maybe so, maybe no, who could tell. Many non diabetics have receding gums, even when taking good care of their teeth.
I don't think there are any statistics available on teeth/gum problems in well controlled diabetics. I tend to agree with @michita that it's probably high levels doing the damage, most diabetics have high levels regularly so diabetics often have problems with teeth. Statistically.

I'd wager the average hba1c of active forum members is significantly lower than that of the average diabetic, whatever type.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The carbon dioxide dissolved in it makes it extremely acidic.
Is that the fizz in soft drinks ? So sparkling water is bad for tooth enamel ? Anyway I don’t drink any soft drinks I was just curious

Ann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetes? Maybe so, maybe no, who could tell. Many non diabetics have receding gums, even when taking good care of their teeth.
I don't think there are any statistics available on teeth/gum problems in well controlled diabetics. I tend to agree with @michita that it's probably high levels doing the damage, most diabetics have high levels regularly so diabetics often have problems with teeth. Statistically.

I'd wager the average hba1c of active forum members is significantly lower than that of the average diabetic, whatever type.
HBA1c is not a true picture of what is really happening. It is just an average over a period of time. In a month you could have 15 days of blood sugars of 11 and then 15 days of blood sugars of 3, none ideal but have a HBA1c of 7 which sounds brilliant.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HBA1c is not a true picture of what is really happening. It is just an average over a period of time. In a month you could have 15 days of blood sugars of 11 and then 15 days of blood sugars of 3, none ideal but have a HBA1c of 7 which sounds brilliant.
You are completely right of course, but how does your answer relate to what I wrote?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Just to add my tuppence worth, i’ve had implants and use a superb dentist, he’s advised me about the link between diabetes and teeth and the absolute importance of maintaining excellent dental hygiene and good blood glucose levels, there is a direct link with diabetes and periodontitis which is an inflammation of the gums and causes them to recede.

I used to use mouth wash which i’ve stopped doing now as it disrupts the natural bacteria in the mouth so simply brush twice a day and floss with dental sticks now, I also see a hygienist twice a year for a good clean and touch wood no fillings in over 5 years.

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Low levels of vitamin D, which is really common in the UK, can mean problems with teeth as it is used to metabolise calcium. Maybe get it checked? I've known 2 ladies with dental problems due to this.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add my tuppence worth, i’ve had implants and use a superb dentist, he’s advised me about the link between diabetes and teeth and the absolute importance of maintaining excellent dental hygiene and good blood glucose levels, there is a direct link with diabetes and periodontitis which is an inflammation of the gums and causes them to recede.

I used to use mouth wash which i’ve stopped doing now as it disrupts the natural bacteria in the mouth so simply brush twice a day and floss with dental sticks now, I also see a hygienist twice a year for a good clean and touch wood no fillings in over 5 years.

My hygienist also told me not to use mouth wash.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My hygienist also told me not to use mouth wash :-D