totally at a loss

joeynomates1969

Hiya all
I have been type 2 for 14 years. I have tried all sorts of different medication to treat this and bring my blood sugar down but with everything I've tried I've been met with nasty side effects. My levels are now 26mmol in the morning, which I know are unacceptable. My GP and nurse want me to try insulin again but I fear that I will have the same side effect again. Last time I developed a rash and I ballooned with water retention. It was also swollen and painful around the injection site.

I really don't know what to do anymore. I am at an all time low and really do need some advice. Has anyone else been Unlucky too with nasty side effects? Can low carb really be the answer?

Reactions: Freema

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @joeynomates1969
I am surprised that you have not tried low carb at some point in the last 14years. There are no guarantees but it may at least help to bring down the BG levels without the water retention. Low carb is not a magic wand, it takes time for your body to adjust but it is worth trying particularly if you can increase your activity level a the same time. Just by cutting out below ground vegetables and wheat products from your diet you may find that there is some improvement, you can then refine it from there.
I will tag @daisy1 who will post some really useful information for you. In the meantime please read round the forum and ask as many questions as you like. Monitoring your bg already I hope means that you are also linking the results to what you have eaten and stresses in life.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya all
I have been type 2 for 14 years. I have tried all sorts of different medication to treat this and bring my blood sugar down but with everything I've tried I've been met with nasty side effects. My levels are now 26mmol in the morning, which I know are unacceptable. My GP and nurse want me to try insulin again but I fear that I will have the same side effect again. Last time I developed a rash and I ballooned with water retention. It was also swollen and painful around the injection site.

I really don't know what to do anymore. I am at an all time low and really do need some advice. Has anyone else been Unlucky too with nasty side effects? Can low carb really be the answer?

Sounds like you have nothing to loose and everything to gain by trying low carb?
Why not try for 3 months and see what the results are.
I found that by combining low carb and skipping breakfast my levels came down without meds.
Obviously you have been Type 2 for quite a while so your pancreas may need more help but I don't see why you wouldn't want to try?

joeynomates1969

Hi @joeynomates1969
I am surprised that you have not tried low carb at some point in the last 14years. There are no guarantees but it may at least help to bring down the BG levels without the water retention. Low carb is not a magic wand, it takes time for your body to adjust but it is worth trying particularly if you can increase your activity level a the same time. Just by cutting out below ground vegetables and wheat products from your diet you may find that there is some improvement, you can then refine it from there.
Hi Phoenix55. Thank you for your reply. My GP and nurse don't seem to share the same feelings about low carb as I do. also, I don't get much support from those at home either. I'm not feeling sorry for myself but I do need support. I have read up about low carving, but is it do-able on a budget? I really do not want to use meds.

joeynomates1969

Hi Phoenix55. Thank you for your reply. My GP and nurse don't seem to share the same feelings about low carb as I do. also, I don't get much support from those at home either. I'm not feeling sorry for myself but I do need support. I have read up about low carving, but is it do-able on a budget? I really do not want to use meds.
Its low carbing... not carving!!

joeynomates1969

Hi Bulkier. Thanks for your reply. It's certainly worth a shot. What would you suggest for a cheap and cheerful meal? I have been quite happy with swapping cauliflower rice and normal rice, but I haven't given up bread or pasta yet. Plus, what would you suggest for exercise when my bloods are so high? A gentle stroll perhaps? My nurse has told me to rest.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bulkier. Thanks for your reply. It's certainly worth a shot. What would you suggest for a cheap and cheerful meal? I have been quite happy with swapping cauliflower rice and normal rice, but I haven't given up bread or pasta yet. Plus, what would you suggest for exercise when my bloods are so high? A gentle stroll perhaps? My nurse has told me to rest.
Some info on 10 minute walk https://www.nhs.uk/news/diabetes/a-10-minute-walk-after-a-meal-good-for-diabetes/
Low Carb has certainly helped me. My approach was an engineering one, and I liken Diabetes (T2) to a fire.
There are three elements that have to come together to cause a fire

1. A combustible material
2. A Temperature higher than the 'flash point' of 1. above
3. Oxygen

For T2 read

1. Sugar (or sugars worth)
2. Insulin
3. Insulin resistance

In the case of fire, remove any one element and the fire goes out - deprive the fire of oxygen, reduce the temperature, don't add any more fuel.

For T2 it is not so easy, the only element you have any direct control over is 1.

For your blood sugars to go high, you need sugar, or carbs that are quickly turned into sugar, (the fuel) so reducing the amount of fuel you put in will reduce the amount of sugar your body can produce?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some info on 10 minute walk https://www.nhs.uk/news/diabetes/a-10-minute-walk-after-a-meal-good-for-diabetes/
Low Carb has certainly helped me. My approach was an engineering one, and I liken Diabetes (T2) to a fire.
There are three elements that have to come together to cause a fire

1. A combustible material
2. A Temperature higher than the 'flash point' of 1. above
3. Oxygen

For T2 read

1. Sugar (or sugars worth)
2. Insulin
3. Insulin resistance

In the case of fire, remove any one element and the fire goes out - deprive the fire of oxygen, reduce the temperature, don't add any more fuel.

For T2 it is not so easy, the only element you have any direct control over is 1.

For your blood sugars to go high, you need sugar, or carbs that are quickly turned into sugar, (the fuel) so reducing the amount of fuel you put in will reduce the amount of sugar your body can produce?

What a really good way of putting it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating low carb can be expensive if you do the fresh salmon, chicken fillets and best steak option, but there are far cheaper cuts of meat and fish, and then there are eggs and cheeses too.
I always have packs of frozen veges alongside the frozen berries, no waste and always on hand.
My Hba1c went from 91 to 47 in 80 days eating low carb, so it is well worth giving it a go.
The way that low carb has always been denied and derided for weightloss was bad enough, but when it is so effective against a disease which can cause so many nasty complications and early death it is almost criminal the way people are talked out of regaining control and suppressing diabetes

joeynomates1969

Hiya all. Thank you for all of your advice. I am astonished as to how much this way of eating is frowned upon, but then, I feel like the nurse I spoke to yesterday was almost brainwashed!! Anyway, I've been busy having a good look for meal ideas. One thing though; should I wait for my blood sugars to go down before I start to exercise, or try and do something? Ive simply not got any energy.

Reactions: Freema
S

Sean01

Hiya all. Thank you for all of your advice. I am astonished as to how much this way of eating is frowned upon, but then, I feel like the nurse I spoke to yesterday was almost brainwashed!! Anyway, I've been busy having a good look for meal ideas. One thing though; should I wait for my blood sugars to go down before I start to exercise, or try and do something? Ive simply not got any energy.
Hi @joeynomates1969
I read through all the replies whilst eating a 6 egg omelette (only two yolks) with a big pile of broccoli. I am also a low carber. I will even avoid most fruit and veg especially it it has a high glycemic index.

But I am here to to answer your latest question: should you wait for bs to go down before exercising. Without wanting to sound rude or put you off, that is like asking an alcoholic to sober up before he gives up drinking.

Exercise will help the bs go down. You have sugar in your blood and right now - too much sugar in your blood. Sugar is energy that will be used up by muscles that are working - so you need to get the muscles working to reduce the sugar in your blood.

The biggest muscles in your body are your thigh muscles - use them. Place one foot in front of the other and repeat - get out there and get walking. Without knowing your state of health, i am not suggesting a marathon - you can build up to that gradually - I did and my start off point was three years on crutches (hoovering accident/don't ask).
Aim for 20 mins a day at a moderate pace and when you've done that, aim for two walks per day. and when you've done that, aim for 30 mins a session. Coupled with the diet advice, the weight will fall off you and you will see results.

Walking is brilliant. It's free, it's simple (hopefully) and it helps clear your head and will help you manage you blood sugar levels.

So, Joey, one foot in front of the other.

As for the energy, exercise comes first, then comes the energy.
I've just come out of hospital (burst appendix.) If I waited until I was fit and full of energy before I started exercising, it would never happen. Fit people get fit through exercise. Fit people stay fit through exercise.

I'm in my 50's. I have done two marathons. I train for strong man. First competition in July 2018 - so I have a mixture of strength, endurance and fitness training - I've covered all the bases, but I built this up from scratch after 3 years on crutches. My first treadmill session was 10 meters. I was exhausted, but the next day, I went a bit further. My record is 6 hours!!! Nuts, I know, but it all starts with a single step.

Good luck on your journey - update your status tomorrow and tell us how far you walked, seriously. If its more than ten meters - you beat me on my first time out.

Sean

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @joeynomates1969
You have the right attitude to dealing with the dreaded DB we have a few cliches on the forum such as ( Its a marathon not a sprint __ Eat to your meter )
As for exercise you don't need to rush off to the gym ,just a stroll for even a few minutes is better than nothing ,think of it as the first step to better health
CAROL

joeynomates1969

Thanks for your reply Sean. I asked the question about exercise purely down to the fact that my diabetic nurse told me to rest and not exercise!! Whilst I have very low energy at the moment, I'll take your advice! Thank you :)

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @joeynomates1969 ..
A long time since your diagnosis but you have certainly made a good move coming here today. Since joining this forum, the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead. So ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need. It can all seem uphill to start with but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly.

The key point to take on board is that managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your blood glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle, exercising every day .. golf 3 times a week, jogging every afternoon and 12-16 km daily on my exercise bike .. and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working. LCHF does work for lots of folk and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about this on the forum ..

I see that @Phoenix55 has already tagged @ daisy1 for you and I suggest that you read up on the valuable information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

I guess that you already have one but, if not, it is a top priority that you get yourself a test meter and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

The costs of testing with these meters comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available

I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above .. fasting blood sugar, then before meals and two hours afterwards .. this enables me to check which (if any) foods give me "spikes" and to monitor trends over time. More importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them.

Note: Sadly, the "advice" that you have been given by your nurse is what many people experience. I have developed a useful little mantra for dealing with this whenever I get the same sort of stuff from HCPs ..
# Listen
# Nod
# Smile and say thankyou
# Ignore

Hope this helps

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercising when BG is in the mid twenties - not a good idea - but your numbers should drop if you eat low carb for even a couple of days.
I did not have a meter at first, but the level of over 17mmol/l at diagnosis was under 10 all the time by the time I did get one sorted out.
I did eat a lot of salads over Christmas 2016, but to be no longer diabetic by February this year - well worth it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Your nurse sounds fairly unhelpful and maybe best ignored.
Definitely ditch the bread and pasta asap.
Eggs, bacon, liver are fairly cheap eats.
Chicken thighs cheapish and nice and fatty (eat the skin).
I tend to get any meat that's on special offer at the supermarket and anything that is near its sell by goes in the freezer.
Also cutting out breakfast means that's one less meal a day to pay for.
Cauliflower and any green veg is ok ( except peas though). Salad leaves, cucumber that sort of thing.
have a lok at dietdoctor.com which has a low carb and keto section with some good recipe ideas.
Start to check the carb content of your food and avoid stuff that is more than 5% carb. (i.e. 5g of carb per 100g)
It becomes habit after a while and food shopping gets easier as you avoid large areas of the supermarket.
Hope that helps a bit .. oh yes and don't forget cheese!

As for exercise I just walked the dog for my first12 months after diagnosis.. nothing extra.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @joeynomates1969
You have the right attitude to dealing with the dreaded DB we have a few cliches on the forum such as ( Its a marathon not a sprint __ Eat to your meter )
As for exercise you don't need to rush off to the gym ,just a stroll for even a few minutes is better than nothing ,think of it as the first step to better health
CAROL
Or you could make household chores, then dance half-naked, like this ;-)

Or go full baroque style

I've danced in costume - you start sweating a lot ;_)