Totally paranoid

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
At the moment I am thinking not to use meds and go on a Keto type diet
would that work?

Everyone is different but it is certainly well worth trying.
You may feel rotten (carb flu) for the first week or so. Some do, some don't.
Hopefully you will soon feel much better and your bloods will improve.

Brodsky

I do feel rotten carb flu or im hoping that's what I feel because the weird thing is I didn't have any real symptoms it was a general blood test at the GP looking back I can imagine I got used to the symptoms but not really because before I started the keto last Friday I felt fine now some day I'm ok I'm set to have a range of tests and I guess ill find out what kind of shape I'm in

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
would that work?
Oh heck yeah, it would/will.

But.

Be prepared for something called keto or carb flu. It'll last you a few days, up to 2 weeks. And it really does feel like the flu. Headache, joint and muscle ache, fatigue... Carbs hold on to fluid, and when you cut them out drastically, you wee a lot. Most of the weight you'll lose in the beginning is water weight. But with that, you also flush out electrolytes/salts, so you can get a little dehydrated. Drink loads, use bone broth and coconut milk to replenish what you loose, and hopefully you'll breeze through that period. Also, sugar distorts your vision. Your brain is used to correcting for that. If you get rid of those sugars fast, and you will, with keto, odds are your eyesight'll get blurry for a bit. Don't run out to get new glasses, unless they're the cheap reading kind, because that'll pass as your bloodsugars normalise and your brain gets used to not correting things for you anymore.

I just saw there were new posts, and in one of them you mentioned keto flu... So yeah. Salts. Electrolytes. And drink enough. It'll pass. And you'll feel like a new man. ;)

You may not have noticed symptoms, but I think you'll find you'll feel more energetic when this period has passed.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
would that work?

It could but everyone is different. I was 12% and reduced to 5.4% within three months. Initially very low carb but now keto so 20g or under. I was lucky with no carb flu. Walking after meals really helps. Good luck and stay strong.

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was originally diagnosed as t2. The first thing i did was go on this site and find out as much as i could to inform me. Although i was eventually diagnosed as t1, i found the information on here was excellent and the support through the forum was brilliant. Keep positive and know that support is there if you need it

Reactions: Flora123

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brodsky, I crossed over from pre-diabetes to diabetes in 2005. Tried to eat as healthy as I could but didn't do much more. In 2015, I was re-diagnosed with diabetes with an A1c of 9.9. That was a shocker. I immediately turned to the internet and came across an article on the low carbohydrate diet. Decided to do it. Got a book and read it. Got rid of all the foods that I could no longer eat. Got a glucose meter and started testing. Within three days I was on the diet, 30 - 42 carbs a day, 3 meals a day, snacks only when needed in the beginning. And I started walking, short distances at first, and slowly increased the distance I walked over time. Within 6 weeks, glucose levels were much better and my A1c dropped to 5.6. No drugs.

You can do this. Glad you've already started.

Drink water throughout the day. It's important to stay hydrated. If you start craving salty foods, that's your body telling you eat more salt. I always forget to add salt to food so every few days I dissolve a 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a cup of hot water, then drink it. If you start having muscle cramps, like I did, it helps to supplement with magnesium citrate (which also helps if you become constipated). I started low with 150 mg with dinner, then added 150 mg with breakfast. I now take 150 mg with breakfast and 300 mg with dinner. Those who experience loose stools on magnesium sometimes do better on magnesium glycinate. It's also helpful to eat leafy greens and vegetables to keep your potassium levels up, and the fiber helps keep your microbes happy. Adequate intake of sodium, magnesium, and potassium are important on the ketogenic diet, particularly in the beginning.

Keep asking questions. By the end of your first month, you'll begin to feel a lot more comfortable with all the healthy changes you're making. Glad you found your way here.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
There is a thing called keto flu, as one adapts to the keto diet.
Please look up dietdoctor.com for explanation and remedies.