TRADJENTA vs Insulin

deepanshus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
i was taking 6 units of Himulin for my diabetes. This had come down drastically from 34 units and i have alos lost about 6 Kg of weight by diet and exercise.

My nurse prescribed me TRADJENTA instead of Insulin. i have read a lot of negative side effect of this drug, including kidney failure, flatulence, weight gain etc.

Is it worth even moving away from insulin to TRADJENTA?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi deepanshus, we are not doctors just experts in our own cases of diabetes, so we can't advise you about your case.
While Tradjenta has some possible nasty side effects and it takes a few weeks to build up its effect, I don't see anything about kidney disease - just pancreatitis.

Of course Insulin is also associated with weight gain, so I'm not sure if Tradjenta would be worse for that.

If you were getting along OK with insulin then I don't see why the nurse would want to switch medications. If you were experiencing Hypos on Insulin because of your diet then reducing the insulin dose until you don't need to take Insulin or any diabetic medicine would seem to be a better way forward to me.