Traffic Lights food lists

Polarice

When my Mum was diagnosed with Irritable Bowl Syndrome some years ago, she was given a list of foods under a Green, Amber and Red headings.
She could eat as much of the foods in the Green list as she wanted. She could have the occasional foods in the Amber list. On special occasions, birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, etc. she could 'treat' herself with something from the Red list, (that ordinarily she should avoid at all costs), but only on very rare occasions.

Does anyone know of a similar food list for those with T2 ?

I don't need recipes, because I have an intolerance to other foods that those with T2 can eat - like peppers, cheese, coffee, herb and spices, salad fruits and others besides.

All I really need is a list of foods so that I can sort out my own diet.

[If there is already such a list already on this site, then I've missed it and I apologise for repeating things].

Is there such list as I'm looking for available that anyone knows of ?

Thanks in advance,

Polarice

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could do a lot worse than look at the food lists in dietdoctor.com.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodtoavoid

Basically, you can eat meat, fish, vegetables that grow above the ground, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, eggs by the dozen, all dairy such as cheese, full fat yogurts, cream and butter, olive oil, real mayonnaise, salad leaves and so on.

Restrict and/or avoid breakfast cereals, bread, pasta, rice, pastry, most fruits, all fruit juices,

Reactions: Prem51

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When my Mum was diagnosed with Irritable Bowl Syndrome some years ago, she was given a list of foods under a Green, Amber and Red headings.
She could eat as much of the foods in the Green list as she wanted. She could have the occasional foods in the Amber list. On special occasions, birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, etc. she could 'treat' herself with something from the Red list, (that ordinarily she should avoid at all costs), but only on very rare occasions.

Does anyone know of a similar food list for those with T2 ?

I don't need recipes, because I have an intolerance to other foods that those with T2 can eat - like peppers, cheese, coffee, herb and spices, salad fruits and others besides.

[If there is already such a list already on this site, then I've missed it and I apologise for repeating things].

Is there such list as I'm looking for available that anyone knows of ?

Thanks in advance,

Polarice
This is the type of thing I was looking for from my GP. It turns out my quest was futile.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why not look up the amount of carbs of the foods you like and can eat?
There are thousands of different foods, and depending on how many carbs your diabetes can handle some may be 'orange' for someone else and 'red' or 'green' for you.

Seems easier to look up what you like than post a list of 800 things you probably can eat, 800 you probably can't and 800 you may or may not, depending on your diabetes, portion size, time of day, etc.

D

Deleted member 308541

I use this free food nutrition info list from Fat Secret, it has most foods listed including supermarket brands.

This is the link for the UK one as it does not have Fiber tucked away in the Carbs.

https://www.fatsecret.co.uk/calories-nutrition/

Edit: Inserted the word free into the text.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ignore traffic light labelling as it's driven by the food industry who want to sell you profitable carbs; it's got little to do with good nutrition. Look at the back of packaging for total carbs and keep those down. Apart from that eat pretty well what you like.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is this but I dont know if it's the sort of thing your looking for I would probably find it too aligned with orthodox guide lines but each to there own I suppose.

http://www.trafficlightguide.com.au/site/index.php

Also I don't think it's free either.
This is the sort of thing I had in mind @JohnEGreen

In this day and age of computer capacity, big data and all that, I suspect it would not take a large organisation such as the NHS a lot of effort to put together a database of a broad range of food items, along with some kind of traffic light type arrangement. It could then be made available to whoever wanted it or needed it.

Of course it would need to be aligned for the LCHF type thinking.

I would also like to see a set of definitions put in place that expresses different levels of carb dieting and this is just thinking out loud but it might follow these lines:

• No carbing
  • Ultra Low carbing
  • Low carbing
Or something along those lines.

Each clearly defined a range of the number of carbs intake per day or something. A follow on from this would be to fit the diet to the desired low carbing level.

Probably a load of old nonsense?

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen