Training nurses on LADA

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sitting in A&E waiting for a xray. I wrote type 1 diabetes and my meds on the form for the triage nurse.

You are too old to be type 1 she tells me as she scribbles type 2 over the top of my writing. 20% of people are diagnosed over the age of 40 I say.....

Stupid thing is I was diagnosed just 3 months ago in the very same A&E so they have all my records!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sitting in A&E waiting for a xray. I wrote type 1 diabetes and my meds on the form for the triage nurse.

You are too old to be type 1 she tells me as she scribbles type 2 over the top of my writing. 20% of people are diagnosed over the age of 40 I say.....

Stupid thing is I was diagnosed just 3 months ago in the very same A&E so they have all my records!

The nurse is thick. That isn't about age of diagnosis. What does she think happens to all the children with type 1? They just magically disappear? Tell her once you have type 1, you continue being type 1 until you die, it's a life long condition and it doesn't turn into type 2 at an age cut off point. She isn't qualified to query the diagnosis and to scribble it out is putting your care in A&E at risk - because it scribbles out the fact you have insulin dependent diabetes.

Hope you don't have a break.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is just a lunatic situation. I've nearly had a stand-up fight with ignorant nurses on two different occasions over exactly the same thing. Stick to your guns. We are the ones who are at risk if the records are wrong.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's great isn't it to be managed by some nurses who will potentially make your condition worse or even risk death. Yes, stand you ground. Fortunately there are good nurses around as well.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I hope you got the names of these nurses so you can report them for misconduct to the nursing council and the hospital.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yep I'd complain about that.

Dark Horse

It might be worth writing to PALS to make them aware.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cracked rib. Ouch! I was a bit annoyed. To start with I wasn't in for my diabetes (hunched over in pain after kick from a horse) & secondly I'm insulin dependent whatever "type" I am and arguing the case isn't helpful. Maybe next time I need to take a print out of my antibody tests!!

I'll probably flag it with their diabetes team next time I'm in. No idea of the nurse's name tho.

Reba

Type of diabetes
LADA
Sorry, but is there anywhere that you can get an endo for this? My neurologist told me of one and he diagnosed me as LADA. Had a run around with my next endo, but got it straight. I hate for you to suffer.