Trains and sweet things

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
so I’m travelling from London to Leeds today! Just arrived at kings cross and all of a sudden I need cake (I’m having tea in pret) and sweets for the train journey!!

I’m not but I am really having to work hard! This was completely out of the blue. I guess I don’t do long train journeys so in the old days when younger I always had sweets!! Have not prepared for this at all!!

Can only hope my friend who I’m waiting for doesn't have sweets or cake or I think I may be done for.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi, I hope you had something better than sweets or cake for the journey. Things like nuts and small cubes of cheese can help in situations like this.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
so I’m travelling from London to Leeds today! Just arrived at kings cross and all of a sudden I need cake (I’m having tea in pret) and sweets for the train journey!!

I’m not but I am really having to work hard! This was completely out of the blue. I guess I don’t do long train journeys so in the old days when younger I always had sweets!! Have not prepared for this at all!!

Can only hope my friend who I’m waiting for doesn't have sweets or cake or I think I may be done for.

Probably a food anxiety from anticipating being trapped on a train and being hungry.

As you say, memory reminds you of what you used to use as emergency supplies back in the day.

If I think that I will be hungry on a long journey I try to pack my own emergency supplies such as cheese, nuts, cold meat. Surprisingly (or not) I tend not to eat them during the journey, probably because having them removes any anxiety.

Fortunately I am now used to fasting for part of the day so that again removes anxiety - I just have to think something like "You only ate 3 hours ago. You have fasted for 3 days before now!". However that does depend on being able to fast comfortably.

Edit: this is where the fabled Lidl Protein Roll used to come in. a cheese roll was an easy emergency supply to carry which had the bulk to satisfy without the carbohydrates you usually get from a sandwich.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fortunately, these habits are as easy to break as they were to create.

I used to watch videos with a group of friends back when I was a student. If I see one of those films now, I am taken right back to a world where haagen daz icecream and salty popcorn existed. I even used to pop the popcorn, if I was hosting the bunfight.

But now, I have other contingencies in play, and am busy laying down new traditions.
Chorizo crisps and cream cheese dip
pork crackling or slivers of crisp belly pork
puffed cheese blobs
Or
(and this is the easiest) time the film for my evening meal, and eat a nice big plateful at the beginning, and then forget about food for hours)

In your situation stuck on a train, I would just organise a takeaway coffee with lots of cream.

I have never yet met a carb craving that survives a hefty LCHF snack.