Transition from Paediatric to Adults

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had my transition clinic from paediatric to adult clinic. It was such a quick process from what i was told! I was told i would have a few transition clinics to get to know the adult staff but no, was pushed straight in to adults! I now need to contact someone as i keep going hypo when working and exercising. But I don’t know who to contact. Do i contact the paediatric, as i can contact them for up to a year now, or do i find the adult number and contact them? Do the adults even speak to you over email like they did in paeds? TIA

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd guess that would depend on your trust but why not just call the number you know and ask?

Reactions: Amy993

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had my transition clinic from paediatric to adult clinic. It was such a quick process from what i was told! I was told i would have a few transition clinics to get to know the adult staff but no, was pushed straight in to adults! I now need to contact someone as i keep going hypo when working and exercising. But I don’t know who to contact. Do i contact the paediatric, as i can contact them for up to a year now, or do i find the adult number and contact them? Do the adults even speak to you over email like they did in paeds? TIA

If you need help fairly quickly with the hypos, which I would think you do, I would contact the paeds team (flipping heck it really wanted to autocorrect that to something rather unfortunate), especially if you don't have a nominated DSN in the adult clinic. My experience of trying to get support via the adult clinic (which, having been diagnosed at 25, is all I have) is that the number goes through to voice mail for the DSNs and they will do their best to get back to you if it's urgent, but if it's not urgent you might be waiting a while, once you've met up with your DSN in the adult team they should be fairly open to giving you their email address which should make contact for support a bit easier, but if you haven't done that yet and you still have access to the paeds team you might be better off going via the paeds team. You could use the opportunity to ask for clarification on who to contact and their contact details in the adult team - ie, what's the email address for my DSN in the adult clinic, please?

Reactions: Amy993