Transition to real food post newcastle diet

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thought you guys and gals might be interested in some Daily Fail press for the Newcastle Diet:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...provide-drug-free-way-treating-condition.html

Ah yes! LOVED the pic of the well-made-up happy looking woman drinking something that did not look like a liquid-food shake (or not to my knowledge) :). (not someone groaning on a sofa, with a large glass of water with the exciting garnish of a lemon, in front of them, and maybe closely examining a calendar with the days left to go marked very clearly... ;) :).)

Reactions: 4 people

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great results mate very well done.
Are you going to have another a1c in 3 months time to check how it's going.
I will ask my dn to give me a form for another a1c to see how I am doing or how I have done post nd.

What!! Me? Most certainly yes, as for some reason the Doc used blood results from 04/06/15 and I was still in ND, So would hope to see better figures in 3 months, or will be very disappointed , bless her, she's very understanding, which is rare going by some of the posts on this Forum,

Reactions: 2 people

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
End of week 10 for me and I have gained half a kilo this week, I did overdo nuts I admit but have been very good overall.
Had 1 carb treat of rice and bg did not go higher than 6.5 I think it was at any time.
Still IF 16:9 and negligible weight.
No exercise last week as did a lot of gardening on the weekend.

Think that's a good plan Brettsza, from memory your not a breakfast person, ( like me ) and after doing the ND, methinks my system is happy plodding on with something like a 5 2 plan, and on the fasting days just back to Slimfast ( have 5 tins still left ) ....and coffee,

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah yes! LOVED the pic of the well-made-up happy looking woman drinking something that did not look like a liquid-food shake (or not to my knowledge) :). (not someone groaning on a sofa, with a large glass of water with the exciting garnish of a lemon, in front of them, and maybe closely examining a calendar with the days left to go marked very clearly... ;) :).)

100 likes

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice one ..he/ she is diabetic AND has been following this thread, hence all the up to date info
I feel skipping breakfast is easiest for me as I don't have it with my family or friends. I know it's easier said than done but post nd I just made a habit of not having breakfast. I used to be starving in the morning earlier as after dinner at 8 I used to be looking forward to breakfast at 7. During ND I started having shakes later, my first shake was at 12 with my colleagues at work. So I got into the habit of not having breakfast. So I just carried that forward and skip my breakfast. I think nd not only helped me with skipping meals but just made me look at food like a luxury and I really do treat it like that now. I was gaining weight on lchf earlier but my heaviest meal was breakfast which was a big fry up. Thats out now and I think that definitely saves about 600 calories to 700 calories a day.
Post ND I find it a lot easier to stay without food if needed be and fast. Since your body is not used to eating at all during ND I think what I personally did was when I did start eating I just started it on a new pattern altogether.

Reactions: 6 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night had a treat and got shocking results so wanted to share with everyone

I had dinner about 200g carbs and after about an hour we cut a cake since it was my wife's birthday and I had a massive slice of that. 1 hour later I was really scared to test but now a days I am testing 1 hour peak more than the 2 hour readings to see what my peaks are. I have always been between 5 and 5.5 after 2 hours. So I tested and at 1 hour I came at 5.0. I retested and came at 5.1.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night had a treat and got shocking results so wanted to share with everyone

I had dinner about 200g carbs and after about an hour we cut a cake since it was my wife's birthday and I had a massive slice of that. 1 hour later I was really scared to test but now a days I am testing 1 hour peak more than the 2 hour readings to see what my peaks are. I have always been between 5 and 5.5 after 2 hours. So I tested and at 1 hour I came at 5.0. I retested and came at 5.1.

Brettsza - As you're probably aware, the timing of your peak will be influenced by the composition of what you eat. Those 5s sound fab, though.

Have you considered having a Libre, and running a couple of two-week monitoring spells to see your 24/7 patterns. It's a fascinating insight.

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel skipping breakfast is easiest for me as I don't have it with my family or friends. I know it's easier said than done but post nd I just made a habit of not having breakfast. I used to be starving in the morning earlier as after dinner at 8 I used to be looking forward to breakfast at 7. During ND I started having shakes later, my first shake was at 12 with my colleagues at work. So I got into the habit of not having breakfast. So I just carried that forward and skip my breakfast. I think nd not only helped me with skipping meals but just made me look at food like a luxury and I really do treat it like that now. I was gaining weight on lchf earlier but my heaviest meal was breakfast which was a big fry up. Thats out now and I think that definitely saves about 600 calories to 700 calories a day.
Post ND I find it a lot easier to stay without food if needed be and fast. Since your body is not used to eating at all during ND I think what I personally did was when I did start eating I just started it on a new pattern altogether.

My sentiments exactly, this works for me, having done the ND and found that it changes your whole way of thinking about food, Revelation

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Andbreathe

As much as I would like to have the libre, I can not afford it right now but I will definitely get it one day.
I know the peaks can be different times and hence the reason Libre will do all the hard work on its own but after testing myself extensively for so long I think I normally peak at 1 hour. Till I don't get libre I am going to have to accept these readings.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
this is my first post on this site. I asked my GP for blood tests back in April as I was feeling rubbish all the time. The Hbac1 score was 52. GP said only tablets would help, but I went home and Googled. Found Newcastle Diet and started it on 20 April. Finished 90 days on it on 19th July. Score has gone down to 41 and have lost 4.5 stones. Feeling much better. Haven't bothered going back to GP so he doesn't know anything about the ND or change in scores etc. Didn't seem interested tbh.

Anyway, this week is my first post-ND week and I'm feeling pretty anxious about stopping it. Have tried introducing cottage cheese, some fish, eggs, chicken and cheese. Still eating mostly veg. Have bought some starchy veg but not eaten any of it yet.

It's good to read all the posts. Especially as this is the only time / place I've seen or heard of anyone else doing the ND. So grateful I stumbled upon it. I'll be looking for things you've all done that have worked and will post stuff that works for me too :D

Reactions: 8 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
this is my first post on this site. I asked my GP for blood tests back in April as I was feeling rubbish all the time. The Hbac1 score was 52. GP said only tablets would help, but I went home and Googled. Found Newcastle Diet and started it on 20 April. Finished 90 days on it on 19th July. Score has gone down to 41 and have lost 4.5 stones. Feeling much better. Haven't bothered going back to GP so he doesn't know anything about the ND or change in scores etc. Didn't seem interested tbh.

Anyway, this week is my first post-ND week and I'm feeling pretty anxious about stopping it. Have tried introducing cottage cheese, some fish, eggs, chicken and cheese. Still eating mostly veg. Have bought some starchy veg but not eaten any of it yet.

It's good to read all the posts. Especially as this is the only time / place I've seen or heard of anyone else doing the ND. So grateful I stumbled upon it. I'll be looking for things you've all done that have worked and will post stuff that works for me too :D
Wow that's really good result.
Gp's I would say most of them don't care. Some are good and will help you through the nd but most wouldn't support it.
See around the forum and you will find loads of articles on lchf. We all try to stay low carb. Also a very important point is weight gain, try to keep that to minimum if possible. I have gained about 2 and a half kilos in 10 weeks which is not bad. You will gain some weight no doubt but if you can maintain it after the initial gain it would be perfect. We are still new to nd and finished it few weeks ago but members here have been in non diabetic bg's and a1c for a lot longer. Stick around and take in as much as possible as the forum has a lot to offer.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done you are introducing the right types of foods. I ate carrots all the way through and still do

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Welcome Misty, to the forum, a very informative bunch here with a wealth of knowledge ( not me ) have finished the ND about 6 weeks ago, hardest thing is finding just what your system will tolerate as we ARE all different, what is good for one, is not necessarily ok for you, Live by your meter and take it slowly or get plenty of reading material stored in the bathroom
Enjoy

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi All,
this is my first post on this site. I asked my GP for blood tests back in April as I was feeling rubbish all the time. The Hbac1 score was 52. GP said only tablets would help, but I went home and Googled. Found Newcastle Diet and started it on 20 April. Finished 90 days on it on 19th July.

Congratulations. really good work. To bad your doctor did not care, but thanks to roy taylor it is all available on the interwebs for free. I do hope that Professor Roy Taylor will get knighted somedays, his contribution to the diabetes community is pretty enormous I think.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that's really good result.
Gp's I would say most of them don't care. Some are good and will help you through the nd but most wouldn't support it.
See around the forum and you will find loads of articles on lchf. We all try to stay low carb. Also a very important point is weight gain, try to keep that to minimum if possible. I have gained about 2 and a half kilos in 10 weeks which is not bad. You will gain some weight no doubt but if you can maintain it after the initial gain it would be perfect. We are still new to nd and finished it few weeks ago but members here have been in non diabetic bg's and a1c for a lot longer. Stick around and take in as much as possible as the forum has a lot to offer.
Thanks for the reply :) I don't really know what a lot of these things mean "lchf" "non diabetic bg's" "a1c" - I have a lot of googling to do! I've just found the rest of the forum and I'm going to spend a little while exploring and finding out as much as I can. It's nice not to be on my own with this anymore. I've got a fair bit to learn, I think.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations. really good work. To bad your doctor did not care, but thanks to roy taylor it is all available on the interwebs for free. I do hope that Professor Roy Taylor will get knighted somedays, his contribution to the diabetes community is pretty enormous I think.
Thanks. Yeah, I agree about Roy Taylor. Think they still have an uphill battle to make this widely known, but thank goodness it's getting to the right people. I don't know where I'd have been without ND to try. Probably still feeling pretty rubbish and miserable.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lchf low carb high fat
A1c is your 3 month average of bg
Bg is blood glucose so your bg levels
Out of interest what are your fasting readings now and after meal reads.
I started doing one and 2 hour reads initially but now I am only doing 1 hour readings to see my peak as we usually peak at about 1 hour after meal. It could be different for you and me and also depends on the type of food, some act very fast and some slow.

Lchf is I would just say a magic for us diabetics like nd.
So anything which is low in carbs is what I eat like eggs meat cheese nuts(not all) and as Andrew said carrots. I love them.
I have loads of salads, you can have low carb dressings in them too.
I just like it simple lemon and salt.
Love meat but hate fish personally but now started salmon as it's a lot less smelly. I will tag @daisy1 to give you more info for new members. That will clear a lot of things for you.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Lchf low carb high fat
A1c is your 3 month average of bg
Bg is blood glucose so your bg levels
Out of interest what are your fasting readings now and after meal reads.
I started doing one and 2 hour reads initially but now I am only doing 1 hour readings to see my peak as we usually peak at about 1 hour after meal. It could be different for you and me and also depends on the type of food, some act very fast and some slow.

Lchf is I would just say a magic for us diabetics like nd.
So anything which is low in carbs is what I eat like eggs meat cheese nuts(not all) and as Andrew said carrots. I love them.
I have loads of salads, you can have low carb dressings in them too.
I just like it simple lemon and salt.
Love meat but hate fish personally but now started salmon as it's a lot less smelly. I will tag @daisy1 to give you more info for new members. That will clear a lot of things for you.

Here is the information Brettsza referred to above which we give to new members. I hope this will help you in your transition.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.