Travel fridge

Heyrehair

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

We are going on a long car journey soon and need to keep some Insulin chilled.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent 12v car cool box.

Thanks, Andi

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you taking food as well? If it's only the insulin you're concerned about, I'd put it in a Frio pack and save the luggage space.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Thanks, Andi

Hi there Andi - Insulin can be kept outside the fridge for up to 30 days, once started. Is you trip likely to make that an issue? Alternatively, Frio wallets work extremely well, provided you continue to keep the wallet "hydrated".

We have used 12v car fridge/cool boxes in the past, but we were never looking for anything other than and bit of shopping/picnic food preservation. I wouldn't like to recommend a specific for the care of medication.

Heyrehair

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the feedback. It's our spares that we want to keep chilled just in case our primary supply fails.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the feedback. It's our spares that we want to keep chilled just in case our primary supply fails.

How long are you away for, and how much do you get through?

Personally, and I don't like waste, I'd be inclined to take the spares in a Frio and then if it goes beyond the 30 days unopened, I'd jettison those vial/pens/whatever, provided it wasn't too much.

I doubt you will find a car fridge assuring a specific temperature as the usually cool to a set figure below the ambient temperature, to a maximum reduction to around freezing point. So, if the temperature is 25c and the fridge states it'll cool to a reduction of 20c, the fridge would end up around 5c.

Would you be truly willing to be confident in that? If I recall our last vehicle fridge was a couple of hundred pounds.

If you take a spare (unfilled) prescription with you, you would likely always have a safety net anyway.

Reactions: Heyrehair

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, do use Frio where it fits the holiday. I'm waiting for someone to produce a really small USB fridge to hold cartridges but China is asleep on that one. They only do fridges for coke cans.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Heyrehair ,

Some good advice given already.
You really can't go wrong with the Frio. Certainly never let me down back packing.!

Traveling by car? Well, as mentioned before there are Marine or camper van fridges But they are expensive. You would probably need a "leisure battery" set up to run it when the ignition is off?

I'm Pretty lucky in the sense i have rear AC in my Jap import "day van" with a lighter socket too, using cheaper option of a 12v cool box which helps in the summer months with a bit of food, spare insulin & a cool pack thrown into the bottom for good measure.. works for me.. The one i have has the exchange ventilations at the top in the lid, so i can pack stuff around it without the blocking of vents..?

Hope this helps?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi all,

Thanks, Andi

We have an ancient Halfords cool box which does us fine as over-spill storage when away caravanning, and as a beer/wine cooler {blush} at home.

You really need a 240V/12V adapter to be able to pre-cool and also to run it off the mains anywhere if the car isn't running. I think some modern versions have this built in.

It is simple technology and seems to cool well. As far as I know it isn't guaranteed to maintain a set temperature but if the requirement is to keep the insulin below a maximum temperature then it should be O.K. for most UK uses.

Just make sure you keep it switched to "cool" as it can also act as a warm box (e.g. for bringing hot food home).