Travel to USA

pearl

I shall be travelling to America in Nov. I am on Insulin and metformin and my control is good. I take my medication before Breakfast and evening meal. With the time differance I.d like some advice on how to cope with this please.

Katharine

What insulin (s) are you on?

I think the Diabetes UK site has some advice for adjusting insulin across time zones.

pearl

Thanks for your reply Katherine. I'm on Novomix 30 Penfill which is a mixture of rapid acting and long acting Insulin. I did look around the site but couldn't find any info on flight travel.
Pearl

Katharine

Hi Pearl,

You are on a relatively inflexible insulin routine. You can't vary it. What I will say is that you should keep to the injections every 8-12 hours as you do now but OMIT the dose if the timing between breakfast and evening meal is shorter than this interval.

All the time zone insulin advice does not work for the biphasic routines so you don't need to look at the usual advice. Most sites assume you are on an MDI regime. What would help is advice from any other people who have gone across the pond on the same regime. My son Steven was on biphasic but by the time we went to Canada he was on the multiple daily injections.