Travel

PMJ

Hi. Not posted on here before but been here a while reading what I can. I have been a type 1 diabetic for about 8 years. I have some might call poor control not through anything I think I am doing wrong just not getting the guidance I need to get everything right.

Now my question.
I am due to travel to the USA soon and I have never been anywhere without my wife since my diagnosis ( bless her. I am positive I would be in a worse condition if it was not for her ). However I am petrified of going to the USA not knowing what I should take in the way of things to help recover from any hypo's and also how diabetes is dealt with over there. The flight is 10 hours and I am not sure how to cope with that.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ive travelled solo quite a lot with diabetes and it has always been fine. never been to US but I can imagine its not complicated to get medical help if needed. Just make sure you have medical insurance to cover any unexpected hospital visits etc. Take lots of extra supplies like insulin,testing strips,needles, ketosticks and frio bag if you go to hot climate. Have fun and try not to panic. 10 hours on a plane is like sitting on a sofa and watching tv. you may need some extra insulin.
when travelling I test regularly as its difficult to estimate carb content and hot weather may affect sugar levels too