Traveling

rebetic

Tomorrow i’m going to another city and its a VERY LONG ride maybe 21+ hours and usually when i eat my bg go 150+ and i need to take a walk or move to make it settle but now i wont move for a whole 21 hours or even more
should i starve myself? I dont want to have high blood sugar it will miss up the whole thing and wont come down easily and honestly i want to eat some snacks i mean thats what long car rides are for
Any tips ?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Without an overnite break?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @rebetic What insulin’s are you using ? If on a basal/bolus regime has your team advised you on taking correction doses to bring down high blood glucose levels ? When travelling I have to up my bolus insulin to compensate for inactivity and avoid eating carbs which send me high regardless of insulin then when I arrive I take extra care as the new environment can cause me to go low, so new temperature extra activity etc, until I’ve settled in for a few days.

Reactions: EllieM and rebetic
D

Deleted member 308541

i’m going to another city and its a VERY LONG ride maybe 21+ hours
Without an overnite break?
We regularly drove from Mt Isa to Darwin 1600 klms in less than twenty hours, three drivers and alternating pits stops. We got something to eat while we filled the ute up with fuel, the same coming back.

data=LIYpzVBPtueTZphj6iyA_JaiipOBk8q-fMVCzvSfZqEX8rCCTrSISNmfMAmz4TQkLe8pOy0huC3yi6Ty7HgAF82G1hiuWr1dK9XSalGMaeMr6cZ9qd21New7pWrp3jpsnx1bk5eSsvpVtM8WI_9o9yIW0P7ec6JS5OipnUiWV-vnhKv1Ldk7L1ZBGIF2oQBX0ndfl2w1uEkpqvrH97kqSucMTjHXuHm1D45ZbZGqBhsE5mmlWSMBzlST6Q4UbsYsWVZ1eDM,0qvlXJAToMi4cxuG10mxe8StpsXSbxJKj_q9AFKHhFR21Gs_3X3zvzafxomvO9kmTyApx4q--0hD79AVJaop7glrNKuH2N0vxbBfavEgvOmRQpz978bC2PnHxvFCWRtPwTsHvy6ZNJ9OoU_g5f08BpqnHuV_ELm4orPp-pgITblaPYWWuWArC8HN1aWAQbXju8-bJcAVaOzDrTqhe68U4c3BP5U7TKAH6ibS_P9n7ZeWLntit3UBbkBROTd10_ozlLAjV0DmuBj1bvu1mcc0U5MAA2dSE-1v_OPIkFEzjkV_ETqPeKJq_eW1liylBtFrVNMmrRCNOxNJN2tvamD9-HI3rz1ibkxO5sbgbpaVjt6ryqw

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I know my own country very well thanks @Tipetoo ....

It's still a big ask for a young girl.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Long drives nearly always send my sugar high, I think it's a stress thing. I stop every 2hrs for a comfort break, check and bolus accordingly.

Sometimes massive amounts are required, similar to when you sick and you think you'll never get the bloody things down.

Fortunately it's only temporary.

Reactions: rebetic

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tomorrow i’m going to another city and its a VERY LONG ride maybe 21+ hours and usually when i eat my bg go 150+ and i need to take a walk or move to make it settle but now i wont move for a whole 21 hours or even more
should i starve myself? I dont want to have high blood sugar it will miss up the whole thing and wont come down easily and honestly i want to eat some snacks i mean thats what long car rides are for
Any tips ?

Hi well if you prefer not to have to use insulin or take too many units than you would like whilst on the journey etc, then go for lower carb snacks, ie nuts/cheese/boiled eggs (ignore the smell), olives, and so on, all kept in a cool box. Dependent upon how many carbs you can tolerate without insulin maybe a small bag of crisps or some veg sticks & dips. Most things can last at east 10 hours plus in a cool box. x

Reactions: rebetic