Travelling with insulin

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies as I know that this has probably been asked a number of times before but I can't find it.
I am going to Florida next week and I'm starting to go through my supplies.
I have a lot of medication to take and I am looking for a suitable bag/case for keeping it all cool.
My dsn has advised me to double up on insulin in case of emergency. I am on the insight pump and a cartridge normally lasts about 21/2 days I have also been given five nova rapid pens and 5 levermir for me to use when visiting the waterparks. This adds up to 10 pens plus at least 10 cartridges for the pump. I do have a frio pouch but it will not hold all of that. I have looked on the frio website but have not seen anything suitable. Has anyone here had this problem and what did you use.
Thanks x

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
could you not just put stuff in hotel fridge when you get there? then only one pen/pump to carry? I wouldnt worry about stuff being cool white travelling

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies as I know that this has probably been asked a number of times before but I can't find it.
I am going to Florida next week and I'm starting to go through my supplies.
I have a lot of medication to take and I am looking for a suitable bag/case for keeping it all cool.
My dsn has advised me to double up on insulin in case of emergency. I am on the insight pump and a cartridge normally lasts about 21/2 days I have also been given five nova rapid pens and 5 levermir for me to use when visiting the waterparks. This adds up to 10 pens plus at least 10 cartridges for the pump. I do have a frio pouch but it will not hold all of that. I have looked on the frio website but have not seen anything suitable. Has anyone here had this problem and what did you use.
Thanks x

It would be less to carry if you were able to get a reusable pen and a pack of the appropriate cartridges. That's what I took as back up when I went abroad.

I was able to take an extra medical bag in addition to my carry-on luggage, so I put most of the stuff in that and bulky things like my meter and strips in my nirmal hand luggage bag.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went to NZ via a few hot places earlier this year and my DN recommend Frio for carrying my insulin. Not cheap but really excellent and takes away lol concerns about it getting too warm. It will keep the pens cool for upto 48 hours and is reusable. Worth it for the peace of mind. I put everything in my carry on and have never had any problems with security or customs.

They have a website which is easy to use and answer any questions promptly. As I went for three months I ended up with two Frios, one which carried four and one which carried two.

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I recently went to Cambodia and brought two new frio wallets and they lasted for three weeks and non of my insulin went off ! I brought one zippy one which I preferred to the ones with the Velcro, I think it came in pink, blue or red
Have a look on their website as they now do loads and loads of stuff, it does take a bit of scrolling though !