Travelling with Type 1

Shane_L

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Guys,

Newly diagnosed and just over a month into it all, i am off for a city break to Budapest in a few weeks and i was wondering what the protocol is for having insulin, needles etc within your hand luggage. I have a letter from the doc stating that i need to have all medication on me at all times. However, i was just wondering what the reality is when you actually go through security with them?

Thanks,

Shane

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Shane_L - If you look back through the forum there are a few posts on this topic.

However, for my two cents, it's not something to worry about at all. I always carry pens, needles and testing kits either in my hand luggage or my pockets. I usually unceremoniously dump it all into those big plastic tubs (needles and pen lids flying everywhere) and no-one's ever said a word. That's 27 years of travelling, so I think you should be ok! I went to Budapest last year and had zero issues.

One other piece of advice - don't keep ANY insulin in your hold luggage - the low temperatures can completely kill it off.

Enjoy the stag do/romantic getaway!

J

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
NEVER had my letter looked at! Always have the letter on top of my stuff. Enjoy!

Reactions: Jeremy_Wood

annieblade

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have travelled twice since T1 diagnosis. I'd recommend checking the airline site as each airline has a different set of rules (some want you to advise the cabin staff).

Always tell the check in staff - security seem to be unconcerned and told me both times they had a family member who is a diabetic

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I have flown around 6-8 times in Europe since diagnosis and have never been asked to produce my doctors letter - I think they see a number of insulin dependent diabetics and so it's no issue going through security.

D

Deleted Account

Like the others I have travelled a lot since my t1 diagnosis (I would estimate over 100 flights).
I don't separate my diabetes kit but I do carry a letter.

My (metal) pen was spotted once and queried.
My letter was read once ... but that was when the airports were on high alert.
If I check in any hold luggage, I answer the question "do you have any sharp items in your hand luggage?" with a "yes" and just as I see the panic start to appear, I explain I have diabetes and see them relax.
If I am travelling with hand luggage only, I never tell the airline.
I have never had to tell the crew on the plane.
I carry everything diabetes related in my hand luggage - not just my insulin - because I know where my hand luggage is and, unlike my hold luggage, I am confident it will not get lost.
I always carry at least twice as much as I think I will need. That includes insulin, test strips, needles, lancets ... and insulin pens. Yep, make sure you have spare insulin pens.

Most importantly, enjoy!

Shane_L

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Shane_L - If you look back through the forum there are a few posts on this topic.

However, for my two cents, it's not something to worry about at all. I always carry pens, needles and testing kits either in my hand luggage or my pockets. I usually unceremoniously dump it all into those big plastic tubs (needles and pen lids flying everywhere) and no-one's ever said a word. That's 27 years of travelling, so I think you should be ok! I went to Budapest last year and had zero issues.

One other piece of advice - don't keep ANY insulin in your hold luggage - the low temperatures can completely kill it off.

Enjoy the stag do/romantic getaway!

J
Hi Jeremy,

Many thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Shane

Reactions: Jeremy_Wood

Shane_L

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Like the others I have travelled a lot since my t1 diagnosis (I would estimate over 100 flights).
I don't separate my diabetes kit but I do carry a letter.

My (metal) pen was spotted once and queried.
My letter was read once ... but that was when the airports were on high alert.
If I check in any hold luggage, I answer the question "do you have any sharp items in your hand luggage?" with a "yes" and just as I see the panic start to appear, I explain I have diabetes and see them relax.
If I am travelling with hand luggage only, I never tell the airline.
I have never had to tell the crew on the plane.
I carry everything diabetes related in my hand luggage - not just my insulin - because I know where my hand luggage is and, unlike my hold luggage, I am confident it will not get lost.
I always carry at least twice as much as I think I will need. That includes insulin, test strips, needles, lancets ... and insulin pens. Yep, make sure you have spare insulin pens.

Most importantly, enjoy!
Thank you!!!

D

Deleted Account

Just thought of something else ...

Make sure you have your hypo treatment with you during take off and landing. As I once learnt from experience, it is no very useful in the overhead locker when you are not allowed to remove your seatbelt.

And make sure your diabetes is covered by your travel insurance.

Reactions: Dodo