Treatment finished, scan in 3 months

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. My chemo and radiotherapy finished at the end of August and a couple of weeks of the worst ever side effects I'm finally beginning to feel human again.. I honestly thought I'd be spending the rest of my life in the loo as everything I ate was trying to find the fastest way out again.:***:
I now have to wait 3 months for a scan to see if it's worked. .. seems forever ! but they say due to the inflammation from radiotherapy they can't get an accurate picture until then.
I'm staying positive and getting back to my exercise of dancing and walking.
Blood sugars have been all over the place, with having a very restricted diet and throwing up a lot but seem to have settled in the 7's lately. I'm now trying to get back to LCHF but it's tricky as many things cause instant tummy rebellion !
Annoyed that I still can't drink coffee.. I went off that and tea as soon as I started treatment. I actually fancied a coffee yesterday and enjoyed it for all of 5 minutes until it made a dramatic re-appearance !
Hope you are all keeping well. I'm now catching up with the forum posts x

Reactions: Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have got through the nasty dark tunnel that is chemo, so the best plan is now to relax and try to forget about the scan. It is a way off yet. Good to read you are getting back to living life again. The scan is routine, so hopefully all will be well. Your blood sugars will return to normal. Have they given you something for the tummy rebellion? If not, can you ask the chemo unit?

Reactions: ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to hear from you!
Glad you have got those treatments over, and can now get some serious recovery underway.
Have they given you any idea of when you can expect all the nausea and other gut stuff to clear up?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Welcome back @daisyduck!

Glad to hear you have got through the rads and chemo. I call it getting finished with the slicing, dicing, freezing and frying!
It isnt pleasant...

However, people think thats it done, but side effects from rads and chemo can be very, very difficult. Even when finished. Its not just a case of having it sliced away and moving on, cancer has gone. These are radical, harsh treatments.

It takes time and the change in taste and sickness and bowel troubles can seem relentless but do not stress about carbs etc at this time. Honest.

I went down to eating just homemade smoothis, tea plate of mushy veg once a day. Had to add protein powder in to smoothies to ensure I got enough to help with healing.

The rads with breast cancer **** near killed me from poisoning.. just had 2nd mx 4 months ago on supposed healthy boob which wasnt...

Our workd changes and the rads and chemo can change everything we knew before. I'm up to a mini dinner plate of mushy carby veg so there is progress and two years on from 1st op and going to cancer therapy help etc and IMm
In better place and more importantly so will you.

Exercise is hugely important, good for you for getting back to it.

Thinking of you... xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice to see you back, @daisyduck . Keep fighting the good fight. Now is probably a time to be a little kind to yourself, in terms of a getting back on the dietary horse. If your body is in deep rebellion mode, maybe it's a big ask for too many changes at at once.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone xx
The side effects are much more manageable now although the booklet I've been given say they can go on for YEARS!! I can cope as they are without any great stress. If I'm going out I just don't eat.
I was given 4 different types of meds for the nausea. 2 didn't seem to work at all. one dropped my blood pressure so low I couldn't stand without going dizzy and the 4th one made me so sleepy I could hardly wake up. I've given up on them all. I feel better when I have been sick anyway and that is much less frequent now.
Same with the diarrhea meds. I had two types and couldn't get the balance between diarrhea and constipation. I stopped those and stayed near the loo for two weeks waiting for my body to sort itself out.. nearly there now.. well about 4 times a day instead of 20+ is a huge improvement.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back @daisyduck!

Glad to hear you have got through the rads and chemo. I call it getting finished with the slicing, dicing, freezing and frying!
It isnt pleasant...

However, people think thats it done, but side effects from rads and chemo can be very, very difficult. Even when finished. Its not just a case of having it sliced away and moving on, cancer has gone. These are radical, harsh treatments.

It takes time and the change in taste and sickness and bowel troubles can seem relentless but do not stress about carbs etc at this time. Honest.

I went down to eating just homemade smoothis, tea plate of mushy veg once a day. Had to add protein powder in to smoothies to ensure I got enough to help with healing.

The rads with breast cancer **** near killed me from poisoning.. just had 2nd mx 4 months ago on supposed healthy boob which wasnt...

Our workd changes and the rads and chemo can change everything we knew before. I'm up to a mini dinner plate of mushy carby veg so there is progress and two years on from 1st op and going to cancer therapy help etc and IMm
In better place and more importantly so will you.

Exercise is hugely important, good for you for getting back to it.

Thinking of you... xx

Thanks @donnellysdogs So far no slicing or dicing but I definitely feel like I've been microwaved !
I nicknamed the radiotherapy machine.. The Silent Assassin . It looks so innocent as if it isn't doing anything...hmmm.. It killed my red blood cells twice and I ended up with 2 transfusions of 4 units. I'm so glad that part is over, going 30 miles each way to the hospital daily was a big strain too I kept a bucket in the car in case of an emergency !
Good to read you're on the up .. I am feeling so much better already too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thanks @donnellysdogs So far no slicing or dicing but I definitely feel like I've been microwaved !
I nicknamed the radiotherapy machine.. The Silent Assassin . It looks so innocent as if it isn't doing anything...hmmm.. It killed my red blood cells twice and I ended up with 2 transfusions of 4 units. I'm so glad that part is over, going 30 miles each way to the hospital daily was a big strain too I kept a bucket in the car in case of an emergency !
Good to read you're on the up .. I am feeling so much better already too.

So glad to hear you that you are on the up!
Rads and chemo can be vile.
So take time out and get food that you can handle first rather than worrying too much about lchf. Protein is important for repairing our health.

Microwaving is a good comparison!!

So glad to hear from you.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @daisyduck,

So glad to see you back on the forum. Hoping you are back to your usual self really soon and keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for your scan in three months time.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So much love to you, @daisyduck . Hugs too! So lovely to see you on here!
:)

(Edited for inadvertent use of a very strange emoticon when all I wanted was :) <--- that one!)

xxxxxxx

Last edited: