1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Treats and oh [emoji4]

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Dudette1, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Dudette1

Dudette1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just wondered what’s the one thing you tried that is classed as a treat as sorts that shocked you and does not raise your blood sugar.
    For me it was Cadbury’s highlights hot chocolate, I have it with almond milk and my sugars never move.
    Anyone else tried something that they thought would raise their sugar but doesn’t?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ate about 20 celebrations the other night, just gorged.
    Needle never moved but I was drinking red wine as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sugarlisa

Sugarlisa · Well-Known Member

What are treats haven’t had any since been diagnosed 2 weeks ago and haven’t a clue what treats you can have has a type 2

4. Dudette1

I mean when you are testing to see what foods don’t spike your blood sugars, which have surprised you that didn’t raise it.
    Do you have a testing meter sugarlisa?

5. Dudette1

Wow!! I don’t think I could even have 2, although I have never tried and don’t think I will I stick to dark 85% chocolate

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I seem to be ok on very dark chocolate and wine, thank goodness

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sugarlisa

Don’t test blood sugar just got take 2 tablets a day that’s it waiting for my phone call from my practice nurse regarding my diabetes type 2 and I brought a home a testing meter when I got out of hospital after Covid pneumonia and Covid diabetes and given the news I’m type 2

8. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa,

Given you have a meter is there any reason you don't test your blood sugar levels- I still test regularly after more than a year in the 'normal' range. For me it keeps me honest and lets me see where I am- I don't see me stopping testing ever.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Sugarlisa

I was told when I left hospital after Covid pneumonia and Covid diabetes and diagnose with type 2 I want need to test my blood by a sister but I was given a meter to bring home too

10. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there, I think you are saying you were told not to test but given a meter anyway? You have a meter so yes, TEST. Otherwise you are driving blind, you will get loads of immediate information about what foods affect you. x

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Sugarlisa

Yes x

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook