Treats!

mcdougall86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For those of you who are following strict diets (low carb or very low cal) and who manage your blood sugars well on these diets, do you ever allow yourself a cheat day or cheat meal?

I've been low carbing for a few months since getting a steroid induced diabetes diagnoses and I allowed myself to have a burrito the other day, my first high carb food in months and it had very little effect on my blood sugars. I don't plan on changing my diet at all, as it is yielding good results, but it has made me a little less militant about allowing myself a treat every now and again in the future. I just wondered how others feel about this? I know that I find it easier to stick to an eating plan if I know that I'm not excluding certain foods forever e.g. I haven't had any pasta since my diagnosis but i know that I might allow myself some as a treat at some point in the future and it makes it easier to not crave it on a regular basis.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I avoided just about anything sweet, alcohol, and starchy foods for the first 4-5 months after diagnosis. It was the shock and fear of complications that motivated me.
Now that I have reduced my weight and bs levels I do have a couple of biscuits, a bit of cake, or at the moment a mince pie or slice of Stollen. Before diagnosis it would have been half a packet of biscuits, and/or 3-4 slices of cake or mince pies. It doesn't seem to be affecting my fbgs, but my weight does seem to be creeping up. I am probably becoming a bit complacent and will probably go on a fast in the New Year to get my weight down a few pounds.

Reactions: lisajo2016