Treats?

weeezer

Shelleyharris...pester your dsn about getting on a DAFNE/carb counting education type course, you'll feel so much more confident about it all, and you'll feel more informed & able to be knowledgable when explaining/educating everyone else around you!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jennyleach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All processed foods, rice, pasta and potatoes
Since low carbing I have lost my sweet tooth but I do occasionally make up some Hartleys low sugar jelly or keep a Hartleys 10 calories jelly in the fridge for those unexpected "sweet tooth moments". Best of luck

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
oooooh thank you for that jennyleach. I didnt think of sugar free jelly :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Childhood memories - enough to make you cry!

ABC Alphabet Letters
Jelly Beans
Shrimps
Pineapple Chunks
Brown Gems
Chocolate Buttons
Candy Necklaces
Candy Watches
Caramac
Chewing Nuts
Chocolate Coins
Chocolate Covered Bananas
Chocolate Hearts
Dip Dabs
Double Lollies
Drumsticks - Raspberry & Milk
Fizzers
Flying Saucers
Foiled Ice Cups
Fruit Salad
Frys Chocolate Cream
Gold Nuggets Bubblegum
Kola Kubes
Love Hearts Dip
Milk Chocolate Covered Toffees
Mini Love Hearts
Mini Parma Violets
Mr Tabs Mini Candy Bricks
Mr Tom Peanut Bar
Parma Violets
Pineapple Chunks
Pint Pots
Porky Pigs
Rainbow Drops
Reeses Cups
Rhubarb and Custard
Rhubarb Pips
Sherbet Lemons
Space Dust - Cherry
Space Dust - Strawberry
Strawberries & Cream
Strawberry Chewits
Strawberry Lizard Tongue Whips
Sweet Peanuts
Sweet Tobacco
Sweetheart Lolly Pops
White Chocolate Fish and Chips
White Gems
White Mice
Winter Mixture
Wispa Gold

A

Anonymous

Gemima said:
gezzathorpe said:
Gemima said:
As long as you bolus correctly then You can have anything you want! Obviously the rule everything in moderation applies to us T1s as well as non Diabetics as we still want to stay healthy and fit :) I've counted from the beginning and never stuck to a particular diet plan and tbh it keeps me sane...I think I would've been much more depressed/downhearted if I had to exclude many things and not eat like everyone else! My friends have gradually stopped asking if I can have dessert or the caramel latte as they have had a very long winded explanation as to why I'm "Just like them"! except my insulin is exogenous! Lol

I am T2 diet only and I seem to be able to eat normally with sensible portions. I don't know what it's like for people on medication or T1 v T2 but I don't worry about the odd day. Last Sunday I went to my son and girfriend (celiac) to show them how to make pizza dough out of gluten-free flour (for my sins). He and I polished off a large packet of Doritos with a hot salsa dip and then we all dived into two pizzas. We had a great time, I saved the cost of a test strip (no point that day), and back to normal the next. No harm done and a fun day.

Eeek now that scares me a bit, I like to correct, I think I'd find it a lot harder if I was t2 as I would be a lot more strict with food! :) but we have to live so the odd day off isn't the worst thing, can't constantly do what we know we should! Glad you enjoyed your day! :)

Hi, just noticed your reply. I am led to believe that the danger is in 'persistent high blood glucose', in other words consistently high levels over a long period. That's why I don't worry about individual meals. My weekly avg is 5.9 bG which includes some evening meals that are over the top. Being above the target for the odd meal for, say, 1-2 hours or so, doesn't constitute 'persistent high blood glucose' and so I see no point in testing before and after every meal. I am over the target for about 3 hours per day (post meals) as the rest of the day is fasting (10 hours) and pre-meals (11 hours). So I am within target 87% of each day (roughly). Hope my sums are right!!! :roll:

kellibabi

Hiya,

I tend to go ont the avidlite website & get myself a few treats. They do no sugar (check the sweeteners though) & low carb goodies. I'm a big fan of the Atkins bars - good for curbing a chocolate craving!

LittleWolf

Now pizza is one that has had me in the teens for hours afterwards :/

Ugh.

I second the jelly, it's a good one.
Dark chocolate with mint might be preferable if you don't usually like dark.

X

A

Anonymous

LittleWolf said:

Ugh.

X

The pizza sent me over for a long while too! So glad I'm not celiac as well. Give me my gluten! 8)

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
For some crazy reason I have a jar of pickled onions as a treat!!
I have put myself on a medium carb diet (170g per day) and I was looking for a low fat, low carb treat!!!

I may even progress to pickled eggs next week!! :lol:

A

Anonymous

squeeze321 said:
For some crazy reason I have a jar of pickled onions as a treat!!
I have put myself on a medium carb diet (170g per day) and I was looking for a low fat, low carb treat!!!

I may even progress to pickled eggs next week!! :lol:

Halitosis here we come! :shock:

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
kellibabi said:
Hiya,

I tend to go ont the avidlite website & get myself a few treats. They do no sugar (check the sweeteners though) & low carb goodies. I'm a big fan of the Atkins bars - good for curbing a chocolate craving!

Thank you kellibabi i will have to take a look at that website :thumbup:

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LittleWolf said:

Ugh.

X

Hi littlewolf im just wondering if their is any particular brand? I didnt realise they did flavour dark chocolate :lol:

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just like to thank everyone who has posted on this thread. I have now got some great ideas to try :D

LittleWolf

Green and Blacks and Lindt do some interesting ones but a little pricy. Lidl has some nice cheaper foreign brands with different flavors too. Xxx

Or you could get some silicon moulds from the £ shop and melt chocolate down to put what you like in. I've added peppermint oil, chili, sea salt, bits of dried cranberry, apple and cannabis >_> XD

A

Anonymous

I did that. Turned dark chocolates into hearts for her on Valentine's Day. But I added too much chilli and had to eat them myself! Grated ginger is nice.

LittleWolf

Ginger! Second that one! I didn't have a boyfriend to hand on valentines day so I gave out ganja chocolate hearts to a few dear lady friends. Kept a few for nights of insomnia/stress too.

Mmmn. Ginger. Fantastic for nausea and colds.

Nom nom nom :3

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The atkins bars are good, dark chocolate is fine and strangely, crystalised ginger seems ok for me too albeit in very small quantities

A

Anonymous

LittleWolf said:
Ginger! Second that one! I didn't have a boyfriend to hand on valentines day so I gave out ganja chocolate hearts to a few dear lady friends. Kept a few for nights of insomnia/stress too.

Mmmn. Ginger. Fantastic for nausea and colds.

Nom nom nom :3

I used dark chocolate from LIDL ... no expense spared for her!!! 8) If you have a juice extractor you can juice a pile of ginger and keep the juice in a container in the fridge or freeze it into an ice cube holder for individual servings. It's great mixed with fizzy water or your favourite tipple! You must chop the ginger into fairly small lumps, otherwise it flies around the extractor like a hail of bullets ... it broke the lid of my extractor! There's such a 'clean' feeling about ginger when you've eaten or drunk it and it's supposed to be good for you.