LChi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone had a reaction of constricted breathing? I started Tresiba on Feb 18 and fell at work on my back on the 20th. Three days later I was in ER for a breathing problem but just ended up with a diagnosis of a back contusion ( turned out to be a herniated disc). My breathing problem got worse and had to go off work. Thought it was the back injury but am suspecting some kind of reaction to Tresiba. I cannot seem to get a handle either... I either have too little at 14 or too much at 16. There is no even balance. Also my sugars have gone way up.. in the 20s now.. never had that when I was high before... usually just 14 or 15. I do not think the Tresiba works well with my Novo Rapid. I have been diabetic for 22 years Type 1 and am 60 now. I learned how to balance things with Levemir but it was causing gastroparesis so I was switched off of it. I do not think that this was a good choice. Tresiba seems to have sneaky things happening and now I am worried about the pressure on my heart. I did not have any heart or breathing problem before the Tresiba or before the fall. The back is healed now. The breathing problem continues.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @LChi, Sorry to hear about your troubles. As a diabetic on insulin but not as professional advice or opinion:
Looking up webmd.com Tresiba Flextouch U200 pen side effects_ trouble breathing is listed as a rare but severe side-effect.
The fact that you have had a back injury around the same time does complicate things though in terms of what is causing what.
Also I can imagine the stress/pain of the injury plus the reduction in exercise etc might affect one's blood sugars anyway, whatever insulin you were prescribed.
Have you discussed your concerns about breathing with your doctor and DN? They are best placed to advise you on this and about your insulin doses.
I assume also that there was a good reason for you being prescribed Tresiba?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @LChi and welcome to the forum :)

It may be a sheer co incidence that your breathing issues occurred around the same time as taking it and may be unrelated, I haven't seen anyone report issues with it here on the forum, but as with any health concern you need to see your diabetes team and get checked over, it's far better for peace of mind, best wishes.

Reactions: kitedoc

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does the breathing issue happen when your bloods are high? Just I get a tight chest if I ever float up over 17mmols or so, I get what you mean about Tresiba being sneaky, I'm still adjusting 3 months after switching but haven't had any breathing issues.

Reactions: kitedoc

LChi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @LChi, Sorry to hear about your troubles. As a diabetic on insulin but not as professional advice or opinion:
Looking up webmd.com Tresiba Flextouch U200 pen side effects_ trouble breathing is listed as a rare but severe side-effect.
The fact that you have had a back injury around the same time does complicate things though in terms of what is causing what.
Also I can imagine the stress/pain of the injury plus the reduction in exercise etc might affect one's blood sugars anyway, whatever insulin you were prescribed.
Have you discussed your concerns about breathing with your doctor and DN? They are best placed to advise you on this and about your insulin doses.
I assume also that there was a good reason for you being prescribed Tresiba?

My endo wanted me to switch from Levemir. I suspect she attributed my gastroparesis to it and after 10 years on it thought it was time to change. I had serious gastroparesis... I was down to soup. Started taking domeridone and got progressively better but then started having heart arrythmias, particularly in the shower. The holter I was given to track it did not allow me to shower so it came up negative. My cardio results were great but I was warned that people with no previous heart problems have dropped dead from domperidone.
As for the breathing... I have had CT scan, x rays, 2 EMGs ( no radiculopathy in neck), I see my GP, and a Physiatrist who is most unhappy about the breathing problem. We have ruled out lung, cervical injury and now are on heart again even though I have had several in every ER visit. I have attacks like I am nauseated, pain in back, pressure on chest and cannot breathe along with pins and needles down left arm. My endo thinks it might be severe anxiety, my GP thinks it is hypokalemia. No answers yet.