Tresiba dosing

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That too used to annoy me. My activities vary day to day and tresiba didnt let me have any control on that at all. Heats another thing for me, so not being able to change dose for 3 days of heat then 3 weeks of rain before another 3 days sun really knocked me for a couple years whilst on / off hospitals kept wanting tresiba tried - and tried....

So glad I looked at the action timing for insulatard and could match it to my needs, even then diabetes educator never wanted me to split my dose for 3.30 and 7/8am.
Remember we are the experts with our bodies, consuktants are soecislusts througgh learning from text books... we are all individual....and should be trreated as such

I'm sure Tresiba works very well for some people, but I'm not sure a flat once-a-day basal makes sense for a lot of type 1s. The whole benefit of the pump is that basal rates can be adjusted through the day as necessary. Thus, I would think (and my own experience confirms) that a basal like Levemir which can be taken 2-3 times daily in different doses is more useful for meeting real basal needs than Tresiba.

Reactions: Levy

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure Tresiba works very well for some people, but I'm not sure a flat once-a-day basal makes sense for a lot of type 1s. The whole benefit of the pump is that basal rates can be adjusted through the day as necessary. Thus, I would think (and my own experience confirms) that a basal like Levemir which can be taken 2-3 times daily in different doses is more useful for meeting real basal needs than Tresiba.
I would agree

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I would also agree. My basal needs are completely different at night time, which means getting it right for one time of the day completely ruins the other.

The recent weather has also wreaked havoc, but again, Tresiba can't be adjusted for that because it takes too long.

The nature of my work is unpredictable, and not being able to make changes on the fly is becoming a real problem, if what I had 'planned' for the day isn't happening. Tresiba has it's advantages, namely that I'm no longer terrified of night hypos, but it's not as 'responsive' as I would like. If Levemir hadn't been such a problem for me I would go back, but htere were too many other issues.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not at all @EllsKBells it's good to hear others' experiences! Seeing as I didn't actually have many gripes with Levemir (apart from feet on the floor rise) if I haven't managed to sort anything out by my next appointment I think I might ask to switch back.

It's a shame because it seemed so promising reading all the positive comments!

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not at all @EllsKBells it's good to hear others' experiences! Seeing as I didn't actually have many gripes with Levemir (apart from feet on the floor rise) if I haven't managed to sort anything out by my next appointment I think I might ask to switch back.

It's a shame because it seemed so promising reading all the positive comments!

People who love it are very evangelical about it and seem to attribute some sort of mystical quality to it! I don't get it, I think Lantus and Levemir were a bigger deal (since NPH was the standard "basal" at the time if you could even call it that) and this is at best incremental, and for some, inferior.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basal insulin's are designed to hold you steady......so if your liver is spewing out an unchanging level of glucose for the critical systems over 24 hours, then yes.....a single dose basal insulin will do the trick.....

If you find this spewing out of glucose is different overnight, when you sleep, to when your active during the day, then a split is the best way to deal with it....

Could you split these ultra long acting basal, probably.....but Levemir is certainly designed best for that....

why your doctor changed you over is a mystery, which you seem to agree with....lol.....their understanding of insulin action is not up to scratch...

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night was the final straw for Tresiba for me. We were talking about how hard it is to adjust to cater for certain events happening - this is a prime example.

I had lasagna last night at 7pm, and I know beforehand that if I have a meal with melted cheese in it makes me rise overnight. On Levemir I would up my nighttime dose by 2u and that would take care of it.

Obviously on Tresiba I can't do that, so even though I took a correction dose before bed (2u) when I was at 8.9... Lo and behold the good old overnight rise!

First thing I did this morning was call my GP and have them amend my prescription. After 5 months of trying to make it work, I'm officially giving up on Tresiba!

Thanks everyone for your help and feedback

Screenshot_20180511-092720_LibreLink.jpg

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies for my lack of knowledge but why wouldn't a similar 2 units of Tresiba work the same....?

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies for my lack of knowledge but why wouldn't a similar 2 units of Tresiba work the same....?
Changes in Tresiba doses a) take 3 days to take full effect and b) don't just last for the 12 hours overnight bit the full day after that as well

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Changes in Tresiba doses a) take 3 days to take full effect and b) don't just last for the 12 hours overnight bit the full day after that as well

That makes sense......the same goes with Lantus with regards a change and seeing the effect.....

my advice......go with the champion, Levemir....;)

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last night was the final straw for Tresiba for me. We were talking about how hard it is to adjust to cater for certain events happening - this is a prime example.

I had lasagna last night at 7pm, and I know beforehand that if I have a meal with melted cheese in it makes me rise overnight. On Levemir I would up my nighttime dose by 2u and that would take care of it.

Obviously on Tresiba I can't do that, so even though I took a correction dose before bed (2u) when I was at 8.9... Lo and behold the good old overnight rise!

First thing I did this morning was call my GP and have them amend my prescription. After 5 months of trying to make it work, I'm officially giving up on Tresiba!

Thanks everyone for your help and feedback

View attachment 26522
This was what drove me to start pumping again when I was trying Tresiba. Levemir is definitely more adjustable for these situations. I'd also recommend using Regular (Actrapid) insulin for delayed fat/protein digestion, I've been using it for the past month in situations where I would normally use a square wave bolus on my pump it and works pretty well the same.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This was what drove me to start pumping again when I was trying Tresiba. Levemir is definitely more adjustable for these situations. I'd also recommend using Regular (Actrapid) insulin for delayed fat/protein digestion, I've been using it for the past month in situations where I would normally use a square wave bolus on my pump it and works pretty well the same.
Thanks for the tip! I'll bring it up at my next appointment, sounds like that could be a good solution