Tresiba

Joanna6375

Hi ‍♀️. I am mum to a 15 year old boy who was diagnosed 2 years ago with type 1. He has recently been changed from levemere to Tresiba. This was done due to him being admitted with KA. We have been using the Tresiba for over a week. My son is complaining of tummy ache and diarrhoea. I was just wondering if this a common side effect of Tresiba? I have obviously googled it, but wanted to ask fellow type 1 diabetics for an honest idea if this is maybe just something that will pass or if I need to contact his team and ask for a change.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

desperate mum x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ‍♀️. I am mum to a 15 year old boy who was diagnosed 2 years ago with type 1. He has recently been changed from levemere to Tresiba. This was done due to him being admitted with KA. We have been using the Tresiba for over a week. My son is complaining of tummy ache and diarrhoea. I was just wondering if this a common side effect of Tresiba? I have obviously googled it, but wanted to ask fellow type 1 diabetics for an honest idea if this is maybe just something that will pass or if I need to contact his team and ask for a change.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

desperate mum x

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I've not heard of any relation of these issues with Tresiba.. But it's not the basal insulin I use.

I'll tag in some Tresiba users I happen to know off the top of my head that may be able to clarify.
@Antje77 @22nw22 .

It's possible your son just picked up a "bug?"

Joanna6375

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I've not heard of any relation of these issues with Tresiba.. But it's not the basal insulin I use.

I'll tag in some Tresiba users I happen to know off the top of my head that may be able to clarify.
@Antje77 @22nw22 .

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

@Antje77 @22nw22 .

I don’t think it’s a bug, it has been going on for too long

thank you for replying.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I know those are not usual side effects of tresiba.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would be surprised if the problem is caused by Tresiba but it's possible. I find it strange that a change was made from Levemir to Tresiba. Tresiba lasts for more than 24 hours whereas Levemir really needs to be split into doses per day as it doesn't last 24 hours. Both are good insulins. DKA would normally be caused by lack of enough insulin rather than the type of insulin being used? Frequent meter testing and not having too many carbs can help avoid DKA.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

@Antje77 @22nw22 .

Hi @Jaylee

thanks for the tag. Sadly I can’t help too much as I didn’t have any side effects to the Tresiba. It is possible that he has a stomach bug but I’d ask the doctor if you could try Levemir again (depending if he has any left) to see what it was, or just wait and see if it goes away without Levemir. It it goes away after using Levemir, then it is likely to be a side effect, if it goes away on its own, then it was a bug. I hope that your son is ok