Triglycerides:HDL - Insulin Resistance

Roy Batty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Do they not do a fasting insulin (and fasting glucose) test to go alongside the c-peptide? That'd make for a nice panel, in my view.
Why fasting insulin as well as C-Peptide? Isn't C-Peptide more reliable because it's half life is longer than insulin?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
  • Informative
Reactions: jjraak

Roy Batty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other

Roy Batty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I now realise that fasting insulin amd fasting glucose are used to calculate insulin resistance, not the level of insulin. Thanks
No worries, we're all learning every day.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm drinking small cups, the milk content is very low and full fat. It's far from a milky drink like a latte.

I worked it out, a small cappuccino with 85ml of milk is 4 mg of carbs. So I'm getting 8 mg daily from milk.
Personally, I normally consume 10 net grammes / 20 total grammes of carbs daily, so 8g just for 2 small drinks sounds like a lot to me. I am influenced by Dr Eric Westman and his "Prescription Strength keto". 20g total carbs is his recommendation, though not necessarily for life. You might like at least to experiment with estimating how many carbs you are consuming daily and reducing them. Just an experiment, no need to continue any longer than suits you. Dr W posts interesting videos almost daily on Youtube, including lots of advice on "Starting keto right".

I am very impressed by your excellent régime, especially your exercise. I wish I was doing the same!

Btw, I learned about double cream in hot drinks from these Forums long ago. I have banished milk from my fridge and life. But how delicious the cream is, in coffee and even tea! (Cream in tea is a little odd at first, but fine once one is accustomed. I see from 19thC novels that cream in tea was once the norm, at least for those who could afford it.))

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I normally consume 10 net grammes / 20 total grammes of carbs daily, so 8g just for 2 small drinks sounds like a lot to me. I am influenced by Dr Eric Westman and his "Prescription Strength keto". 20g total carbs is his recommendation, though not necessarily for life. You might like at least to experiment with estimating how many carbs you are consuming daily and reducing them. Just an experiment, no need to continue any longer than suits you. Dr W posts interesting videos almost daily on Youtube, including lots of advice on "Starting keto right".

I am very impressed by your excellent régime, especially your exercise. I wish I was doing the same!

Btw, I learned about double cream in hot drinks from these Forums long ago. I have banished milk from my fridge and life. But how delicious the cream is, in coffee and even tea! (Cream in tea is a little odd at first, but fine once one is accustomed. I see from 19thC novels that cream in tea was once the norm, at least for those who could afford it.))
I’m still baffled by why people count total carbs. They are almost always from the USA or using their resources and I suspect it’s simply because of the way fibre is included in their carb counts. Just about everyone reaches ketosis at 20 (net) carbs and many do so at levels up to 50ish (net) grams.

Fibre isn’t digested. It doesn’t raise glucose, it can even mediate it meaning less of a spike (possibly extending the gentler rise’s duration though). By counting fibre you restrict things like low carb/glucose veg unnecessarily and thus the micronutrients they contain. Most of the world doesn’t have carbs included in their carb count and therefore no such concept of net and total carbs for a reason.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What an interesting thread. Sorry I came to it so late. But from the word go - I didn't get the trig reading and the trig hdl ratio being an indicator of insuln resistance or sensitivity @Roy Batty. My understanding is it is an indicator of the health of your LDL particles (and therefore part of your cardio vascular health signifiers). ie - good tri hdl ratio means more big and fluffy LDL particles, rather than the dangerous small ones. I keep an eye on my trig hdl ratio for that reason.

Nothing about insulin levels! As in, how much your own body is producing. (Remembering that too much is a mighty big sign of insulin resistance, as in your pancreas is churning it out to deal with too high levels of glucose in your body - your common garden variety insulin resistance based type two diabetes, or in Roy's case - prediabetic levels as in getting too high but not too high yet etc etc.)

I get my C-peptide ordered to keep a track of how much insulin my poor old body is churning out (as in - when it is getting too much, when it is getting closer to normal etc etc ). My country is in the throes of a healthcare funding crisis these days, so I don't dare ask for c-peptides at the moment.

I am nervous that I am the only one mentioning that the trig hdl ratio isn't about signifying one's own insulin production, as in - have I been wrong all this time? (As in when I first really came to understand about blood lipid interpretation, maybe the second year post my diagnosis? Eight years ago now.)

Very happy to be corrected. If I have been wrong - I want to be corrected!

Last edited:

Michellenz

This is so interesting because I thought I was the only one who couldn’t budge my numbers with diet, exercise, weight…all the things. I get so darn annoyed. I know my pancreas has damage but honestly my c peptide is middle of the road normal, my fasting insulin is low but in range, blood numbers are good, blood pressure is good,inflammation markers are low…..frustration level is high. My extreme diet hasn’t taken me out of the prediabetic range.
I watch this thread with interest for sure….

I think that one explanation may be pancreas damage. If it can’t produce enough insulin to move the blood sugar out of your blood and into fat cells, your level will be a little raised even on a low carb diet.

Is that diabetes 1.5?

Have you measured your blood insulin levels?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that one explanation may be pancreas damage. If it can’t produce enough insulin to move the blood sugar out of your blood and into fat cells, your level will be a little raised even on a low carb diet.

Is that diabetes 1.5?

Have you measured your blood insulin levels?
A damaged pancreas (by drugs/surgery/pancreatitis etc) is often termed type 3c. Very similar to type 1 in that a lesser or no insulin is produced, except type 1 is considered autoimmune rather than direct injury. 1.5 is a slower onset in adults of type 1.

Roy Batty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I had the results back from blood taken on 19th March, today is the 21st.

Hba1C 42 down from 45 on 6th January

Total cholesterol 5.7 down from 6.9 (June 2023)

HDL-C 2 up from 1.4

LDL-C 3 down from 4.86

Triglycerides 1.6 up from 1.4

TC:HDL-C 2.8 was 4.9

TG:HDL 1.8 was 2.3 (I used the Blood Code calculator as this takes account of the different units and their conversion factors). Now in the optimal range and not a signal of insulin resistance.

I've lost 3 Kgs since the beginning of January, more importantly I strongly suspect I have increased the % of muscle as well as reduced the % of fat.

I have a DEXA scan scheduled for 5th April so I'll have better data on my body composition and distribution.

I aim to shed another 3 to 5 Kgs of fat, I'm confident this will bring my Hba1C down further and out of the pre-diabetic range.

I don't know why my Triglyceride level has gone up.

• Winner
Reactions: MrsA2 and Speedbird

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the results back from blood taken on 19th March, today is the 21st.

Hba1C 42 down from 45 on 6th January

Total cholesterol 5.7 down from 6.9 (June 2023)

HDL-C 2 up from 1.4

LDL-C 3 down from 4.86

Triglycerides 1.6 up from 1.4

TC:HDL-C 2.8 was 4.9

TG:HDL 1.8 was 2.3 (I used the Blood Code calculator as this takes account of the different units and their conversion factors). Now in the optimal range and not a signal of insulin resistance.

I've lost 3 Kgs since the beginning of January, more importantly I strongly suspect I have increased the % of muscle as well as reduced the % of fat.

I have a DEXA scan scheduled for 5th April so I'll have better data on my body composition and distribution.

I aim to shed another 3 to 5 Kgs of fat, I'm confident this will bring my Hba1C down further and out of the pre-diabetic range.

I don't know why my Triglyceride level has gone up.
Trigs often go up when weightloss is on the scene. It is often mentioned. I'm sure if you do a forum search you will find discussion around the topic.

If that were me, and I was actively, and deliberately losing weight, I'd note and shelve the Trigs score until my weight had stabilised for a short while.