Triglycerides

MyM

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my first blood test for all the stuff other than BS since being diagnosed in May this year. Haven't seen a doctor yet but one of the results was Triglycerides which was 0.46mmol/L and showing as below the normal range on the little graph on the print out.
Not really sure what they do, all I knew was that they should be lowered if too high but can they be too low or is low good?
Overall cholesterol and LDL/HDL was fine otherwise.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Had my first blood test for all the stuff other than BS since being diagnosed in May this year. Haven't seen a doctor yet but one of the results was Triglycerides which was 0.46mmol/L and showing as below the normal range on the little graph on the print out.
Not really sure what they do, all I knew was that they should be lowered if too high but can they be too low or is low good?
That's a great number for Trigylcerides, and nothing to worry about!

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It's below the usually witnessed range, but low Trigs are considered good.

My last Trigs were 0.8 and I was delighted. Well done.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@MyM, you can see from the following that your Trigs are well below the recommended guidelines for people with diabetes:

• Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.
  • LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.
  • HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.
  • Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/Testing/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
According to my chart, printed from the lab results, triglycerides should be between 0 and 1.7. Mine are 0.62, which is excellent. Are you reading your graph wrongly? Triglycerides are the baddies in our lipids. The lower the better.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats a great result, it can be tricky trying to decipher the results but with time you will learn how to read and understand them. Just always remember to get a printout of all your results so you can keep an eye on them.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those trigs are excellent! Mine are 0.9 and i would love them better (lower!)

Cholesterol and blood lipid expert and lecturer professor Ken Sikaris has shown a correlation between high Triglycerides and a fatty liver - and he says that if your trigs are below 1 you are very unlikely to have a fatty liver. Which is excellent news, don't you think? :D I would be celebrating!

If you want to see the video/lecture with this info, i can look it out for you. :) but to be honest, he has several videos available on you tube, and i think they are all worth watching. :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last test I had my trigs were the same and both my GP and I are very happy. As far as I know there is no lower limit for trigs so don't worry.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
So 0.46 is an excellent figure too.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Mine were 1.6 does anyone know how to lower them? Will diet and weight loss do this .?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently there is no lower limit for trigs so you should be happy! As long as your HDL is above range anyway as HDL is was counts.

MyM

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank, guess I am doing something right whatever it might be!,
Next to my results were ranges and a little bar representing my result against the ranges in case numbers were too hard to understand.
HDL >1.0mmol/L, LDL 0-3.0mmol/L, trig 0.8-1.7mmol/L, likewise fasting glucose 3.3-6.0mmol/L Hb1Ac 20.0-42.0mmol/mol
Seemed odd to have a lower limit if you wanted it as low as possible, hence questioning it.

S

Shar67

In UK, have chronic pain in liver, urine always colour of stewed tea, drink about 3/4 litres of water a day to help flush liver, but take a very strong mix of opiates for other pain condition, between rock and a hard place, just waiting for it to pack up completely.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
So mine at 75 are high (opiates and diabetes)
No, assuming that it's 75 mg/dL (very likely) then that's quite good Shar67. It's the old mmol/L versus mg/dL thing, different units so different numbers. The mg/dL numbers are always higher.

Unfortunately the conversion factor between mmol/L and mg/dL is different for each different substance due to their differing molecular weights. However for BGL the conversion factor is about 18, and for triglycerides it's about 88.

So divide your number by 88 and you'll see it's only about 0.85 mmol/L. A very good level. :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
A low carb high fat diet will lower triglycerides.
Let's be a bit careful about that statement. It seems that for some people, LCHF with a high proportion of saturated fat results in increased trigs whereas eating monounsaturated fats has the effect you've described.

There's still a fair amount of research needed in this area.

Reactions: 4 people

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Anyone have a view on the effect of butter and coconut oil on triglycerides? I am eating kind of paleo with grass fed meat and eat everything with the fat as well. I'll change to olive oil if necessary and cut the fat off. X

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The lower carb, and higher fat i go, the more my Trigs drop. Not everyone experiences this.

I eat large amounts of cream, butter, fat on meat, olive and coconut oils, with some rapeseed, avocado, linseed, krill oils.

Try watching this video. It is very informative.