Tropical fish.

lely

I've recently started keeping tropical fish. A welcome distraction from all things diabetes related.
Anyone else on here keep them. I am a novice and could use a sounding board for my new obsession.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The wife used to years ago, I know she still misses them. What fish do you have ?

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also used to keep them many moons ago. I had a 4 foot tank filled with tetras, angel fish, dannios, gouramis, and swordfish. I loved the look of a marine tank but could never afford to set it up and keep it. The marine fish have such beautiful colours.

When you can I'd love to see a photo of your tank with the fish. I have no idea how you do that lol ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Skydog76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rap Music, Football, Rugby Union, Hipsters, The EU
I also used to have a 4ft tank, had it filled with neon tetras, marbled hatchetfish, tiger barbs, albino cats, cherry rasbora, gouramis, angel fish, silver mollies, red tail black shark, bleeding heart tetra, siamese fighter, bronze corys, glass catfish, harlequin, spent many relaxing hours watching the fish with the big light off and some mellow music playing in the background

Reactions: 2 people

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also used to have a 4ft tank, had it filled with neon tetras, marbled hatchetfish, tiger barbs, albino cats, cherry rasbora, gouramis, angel fish, silver mollies, red tail black shark, bleeding heart tetra, siamese fighter, bronze corys, glass catfish, harlequin, spent many relaxing hours watching the fish with the big light off and some mellow music playing in the background

You brought back some more fish for me from your list. I loved watching them when I was either supposed to be watching tv or reading my book.

You do find some dentists and doctors have fishtanks to keep the patients calm.

If I had room here I'd certainly have another one set up. The problem I see for this house is its an old house, just after the war and there are not many plug sockets in any of the rooms. :(.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've recently started keeping tropical fish. A welcome distraction from all things diabetes related.
Anyone else on here keep them. I am a novice and could use a sounding board for my new obsession.
I've got a fish tank in my living room and am also in the process of setting one up in my nursery so little one can have something to watch, it's got blue lights in it so will also act as a night light hopefully! :)
I used to work in the aquatic industry (still work in the animal industry) and fish and reptiles are what fascinate me the most. I watch them more than I watch my TV!

Claire x

lely

Only just seen all these posts. Sorry must seem so ignorant.
I couldn't afford a new set up so I bought an established tank, 3ft. With two plecs about 15cm in length, 4 corys, 3 Bueno Aires tetras, too many guppies, platys and swords.
Stripped the tank back to just gravel.
So far only added some driftwood. And waiting on delivery of plants late this week so will post a pic of before and after when plants are in. And I've figured how to do it?
Dad kept them for years. Always wondered why he was always tinkering with the set up. Now I know. It's a bit addictive. Already thinking of a second tank.

lely

I've got a fish tank in my living room and am also in the process of setting one up in my nursery so little one can have something to watch, it's got blue lights in it so will also act as a night light hopefully! :)
I used to work in the aquatic industry (still work in the animal industry) and fish and reptiles are what fascinate me the most. I watch them more than I watch my TV!

Claire x
I too have found myself facing the tank instead of the TV. Mesmerised by them. Esp corys.