trouble keeping on top of insulin

charlotte95

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I'm 18 years old and I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 9 years ago, for the last 2 months or so I've not been interested in doing my sugar levels because I get annoyed with myself if they're high so I try avoid it, any idea or ways to keep me motivated, thank you.

Mel24

You could always do a treat system. So every time you do a blood sugar and its in range then you get a point then at the end of every week add the points up and have a system where you can treat yourself so if your in the range of 1-10 points then you can have a sweet something along those lines. It's what my mum use to do for me when I was younger to get me more motivated. We had all sorts as treats. It might help but I was only like 13 when she did this

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im exactly the same! Maybe its something to do with 18 year olds :p

I just feel like I'm pushing it to the back of my priorities and ignoring really crutial things like testing, I hardly ever test, and I know thats so dangerous

John7956

If you are not testing because you are worried about high blood sugar levels, why not ask yourself why your sugar levels are high.

I know from personal experience that its not good seeing constantly high readings (I used to have an HbA1c > 10!!!) but you must correct whatever is causing the problem.

Also the problem with using a sweet type reward is that you need to remember to take insulin with it! If not levels will keep being high. My dad had the same problem when he was my age and tried a sweet reward but didn't take insulin with it do actually caused more increase than he did decrease

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

charlotte95

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The heat if affecting them a lot so I tend to miss my low sugar and then have a rebound.

And I no what you mean by you hardly test, sometimes I'm doing something or got a double shift at work ad say to myself I'll be okay then I'm not and not wanting to test again its a **** circle.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
How about not wanting to get retinopathy, neuropathy, organ failure or become seriously ill as a motivation. If I feel like that I google retinopathy, diabetic foot etc and remind myself I must keep on top of things. It may sound harsh. I eat healthily 95% of the time, but usually treat myself to a normal meal/naughty meal like a chinese or indian curry or fish and chips. My appetite isn't massive and I only end up eating half the meal anyway, but it is still worth it.
I'm not being harsh, btw, though the reality of it is.
I wish you all the very best! :)

LaughingHyena

It is dis-hearting to get a high number, I have been know to cheer when I get a good reading :lol: Someone once told me the only bad number is one you don't know about which I feel is quite apt.

Would it help to set yourself some goals, perhaps just start with testing before each meal and before bed. Not worrying about the numbers just getting into the habit of testing. treat yourself to a little something for each day you do it,or at the end of a full week or whatever.

Once you are in the habit of testing then it's easier to see a pattern to the numbers, though my DSN can usually spot patterns that I don't notice.

One thing for me, if I'm only testing when I feel rough then all my test results are out of range. When I'm in the habit of testing regularly each day I find there are far more in range numbers which makes the big picture look much better even if I haven't made any other changes.

Are you a gadget person? Would a new phone app to record results or a new meter would get you motivated

H

Hooked

If you test and see they are high, you can do something about it to help get them back to normal.
If you don't test, they will still be high - and continue to be so whilst doing more damage to your body.

I'm speaking as someone who felt just like you and neglected to test and treat my diabetes properly for a few years and now undergoing laser treatment on my eyes for proliferative retinopathy. I wish I could have "seen" sense long before I did this much damage to myself.

Don't shy away from it, you won't be doing yourself any favours.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Guys Ive been where you are and can sympathise. I used the gadget route myself (I went and got an iPhone) and try Mysugr app if you can that keeps me motivated beating my diabeties monsta! if you want to chat drop me a message, as I said ive been there and didnt wake up until last year really. thats a long time of not testing properly (roughly 10 years) :crazy:

Muir

I'd say the reward for testing and injecting as needed, is you will feel significantly better.
Looking back I was no **** different when I was around 18, BS levels and testing was not on the prio list heh! But I could have made my own life a whoole lot easier if I had tried my best to keep it within tolerances, not for health reasons per se but because my psyche & state of mind is directly linked to my levels.
If you feel like **** (as I often did) it just makes the everyday lots more intolerable and as i recall just catches you in a cycle of thinking "fu.. this sh.." and it just doesn't get any better until this p.o.s. blood sugar is under control :evil:
I wont say im any wiser for having neglected my illness during puberty, but at this point in my life i have to be on top as much as possible seeing as several people depend on it.
So if anything its a mix of preferring to feel good and a sense of duty that compels me to keep tabs on this pain-in-the-ass illness.

And you know, once you get into a good cycle of steady levels and a feel for what is needed when it becomes almost easy to master :mrgreen: