Trust Me I'm a Doctor Repeat 4.30 BBC2 today

Tannith

BANNED
Tells you what happens to your arteries when you eat just 50g saturated fat. They contract by 25% for 4 to 6 hours and become inflamed so LDL gets oxidised. Various antioxidant drinks do not improve this effect.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
So - did they check Eskimos on traditional diets to see if the same happens to them?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This reminds me of my neighbour who works in haematology and reports seeing fatty acids in people's blood if they had given blood following a high fat meal. That fact does not mean it i s pathological necessarily.
As I understand it damage to the arteries and inflammatory processes are caused by excess glycation/sugars (not sat fat) and oxidative stress e.g. smoking.
Can the sat fat 'block' your arteries when the temperature it must do this at is 37 degrees? My coconut oil melts at much lower than this...
As to sat fat constricting the arteries over a few hours, I am wondering if that was then linked to a higher incidence of heart disease or is this just inferred?
I will watch because I enjoy Trust Me and Dr Mosely!
As far as I am aware this lipid-heart hypothesis has never been proved and the fact that statins are of dubious benefit even though they do definitely reduce LDL, supports the idea that it isn't LDL that is the driver of heart disease. Where disease already exists it is thought that statins help by reducing inflammation rather than LDL although a statin does both.
Whilst I'm here just came across this that ma interest anyone who wants to know about trigs and statins!

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/900629_4

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One has to wonder what the 50g plus of saturated fat was accompanied by .... I cannot imagine anyone would regularly and normally consume 50g of saturated fat without other foods. A slab of lard anyone?

Reactions: Geoffno6

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tells you what happens to your arteries when you eat just 50g saturated fat. They contract by 25% for 4 to 6 hours and become inflamed so LDL gets oxidised. Various antioxidant drinks do not improve this effect.
Was that a randomised control trial with a large cross section of participants?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Starts off the piece saying when you eat a high -fat high -sugar meal (my bold)
Then goes on to talk about "clogging arteries" ,"change cholesterol"
all the "fatty foods" pictured were also high carb of course but that gets conveniently ignored by you and "Dr" Moseley.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The "fatty" food they are given for the test is a croissant... ! no carbs involved there then.
@Tannith your lack of scepticism is quite astounding...
Since when have croissants been "junk" food.
Orange juice made things worse because of the sugar! so says the scientist but of course it has to be the fat.
The program has become a joke.

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
The "fatty" food they are given for the test is a croissant... ! no carbs involved there then.
@Tannith your lack of scepticism is quite astounding...
Since when have croissants been "junk" food.
Orange juice made things worse because of the sugar! so says the scientist but of course it has to be the fat.
The program has become a joke.
Hi @bulkbiker
I understand your reaction, but watch your blood pressure!

Edited to align quote with previously edited content

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I did have it on the other night, but my teen was chatting away to me, so I did miss quite a bit, I will try to have a look later on ( my teen is out ) .

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A slab of lard anyone?

I holiday in Krakow, Poland once in a while, beautiful old town at the centre.

First time there, I went out for a meal with an American who was studying there and knew her way round some decent restaurants.

We sat down in one, waiter comes out with some bread and a small tub of something. I said, "Joanne, what's this, it looks like lard with peas in it?". She says, "Well, Scott, that's because it's lard with peas in it."

Surprisingly tasty, though!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One has to wonder what the 50g plus of saturated fat was accompanied by .... I cannot imagine anyone would regularly and normally consume 50g of saturated fat without other foods. A slab of lard anyone?
You'd have to go for quite a lot of it because its only 32% of the content of lard!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm going off Michael Moseley and I used to be a big fan. When I listen to Taubes and Teicholz and compare their level of knowledge and commitment wrt bringing science based evidence to we the lay people (and those not so lay people) Moseley comes away looking like an amateur. I know he is restricted in some ways as to what he can opine but he has a medical background and the wherewithal to look at studies and see right through them. He should therefore have the courage of his convictions and refuse to get involved in the reporting of anything that is not absolutely solid.
The show is a popular one but it is one I stopped viewing some time ago. It is no longer medical science Lite, it is entertainment enough to fill a slot.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going off Michael Moseley and I used to be a big fan. When I listen to Taubes and Teicholz and compare their level of knowledge and commitment wrt bringing science based evidence to we the lay people (and those not so lay people) Moseley comes away looking like an amateur. I know he is restricted in some ways as to what he can opine but he has a medical background and the wherewithal to look at studies and see right through them. He should therefore have the courage of his convictions and refuse to get involved in the reporting of anything that is not absolutely solid.
The show is a popular one but it is one I stopped viewing some time ago. It is no longer medical science Lite, it is entertainment enough to fill a slot.
My experience exactly.

Reactions: hankjam and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And not all LDL becomes oxidised but an explanation of this process would be tmi for for the one hour slot the programme fills.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since it sounds as though I would probably be watching a load of old codswallop, I won't bother....

Robbity

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Since it sounds as though I would probably be watching a load of old codswallop, I won't bother....

Robbity

It passes an hour, I suppose. Available on iPlayer.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Agree with bells on. Find him very shallow in every sense and so now avoid.

Reactions: Guzzler

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree with bells on. Find him very shallow in every sense and so now avoid.
I think of him as a journalist with a personal story to tell (from ToFI to healthy). He has populrised what is in effect a low carb approach and HiiT training.
On the negarive side he is limited by the format he has chosen. I find the long format You Tube chats that the afore mentioned Taubes and Telchoiz et al use are much more conducive to a deeper dive into the controversial science without needing to take a . TV assumes the viewers are in the lowest common denominator of intelligence even if it is on BBC 2.

Reactions: Serena51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think of him as a journalist with a personal story to tell (from ToFI to healthy). He has populrised what is in effect a low carb approach and HiiT training.
On the negarive side he is limited by the format he has chosen. I find the long format You Tube chats that the afore mentioned Taubes and Telchoiz et al use are much more conducive to a deeper dive into the controversial science without needing to take a . TV assumes the viewers are in the lowest common denominator of intelligence even if it is on BBC 2.

Lower carb but not high fat apparently. He's playing a very 'safe' game which is why I say he needs to get off the fence because he is in danger (?) of contradicting himself.

Edited to add.

I give you an excerpt of Dr. Moseley's book 'The 8-week blood sugar diet recipe book'.
PP 13.
"6. Enjoy your dairy products and eat more healthy fats and oils. Until recently full fat dairy products were shunned because of a misguided fear that they are bad for you. In 2014 a systematic review by the British Heart Foundation* which looked at the results of nearly 80 studies involving more than half a million people found no evidence that eating saturated fats leads to a greater risk of heart disease. In fact, they found that people with higher levels in their blood of a particular saturated fat called called margaric acid ( the sort you get in milk and dairy products) had a lower risk of heart disease. These days I encourage people to consume more fats such as olive oil, yoghurt, cheese, nuts, prawns, avocados and coconut milk. They make food taste better. They are an excellent source of slow burn energy. And, although gram for gram they are higher in calories than carbs , they keep you full for longer. Adding fat to starch food (butter to potatoes, for example), will actually slow the rate at which the starch is broken down into sugars and absorbed. Eating healthy oils also improves the absorption of the essential fat-soluble vitamins (A,D, E and K)."

*Association of dietary, circulating and supplement fatty acids with coronary risk http://annals.

Last edited:
Reactions: zand