Trust Me I'm a Doctor Repeat 4.30 BBC2 today

Hotpepper20000

Lower carb but not high fat apparently. He's playing a very 'safe' game which is why I say he needs to get off the fence because he is in danger (?) of contradicting himself.
I’ve said this before. I worry about the message of low carb with out increasing fat. It doesn’t have to be by much. I think it’s setting people up for failure if the the higher fat part of the LCHF way of eating gets left out.

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They assumed it was the fat that caused the effect but all the meals had significant carbs so could equally have been that. They were looking to see if the drinks with food made any difference. Only the orange juice did and that made it worse - no doubt the sugar!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I’ve said this before. I worry about the message of low carb with out increasing fat. It doesn’t have to be by much. I think it’s setting people up for failure if the the higher fat part of the LCHF way of eating gets left out.

I edited my comment to add his view on sat fat in his own words.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lower carb but not high fat apparently. He's playing a very 'safe' game which is why I say he needs to get off the fence because he is in danger (?) of contradicting himself.

Edited to add.

I give you an excerpt of Dr. Moseley's book 'The 8-week blood sugar diet recipe book'.
PP 13.
"6. Enjoy your dairy products and eat more healthy fats and oils. Until recently full fat dairy products were shunned because of a misguided fear that they are bad for you. In 2014 a systematic review by the British Heart Foundation* which looked at the results of nearly 80 studies involving more than half a million people found no evidence that eating saturated fats leads to a greater risk of heart disease. In fact, they found that people with higher levels in their blood of a particular saturated fat called called margaric acid ( the sort you get in milk and dairy products) had a lower risk of heart disease. These days I encourage people to consume more fats such as olive oil, yoghurt, cheese, nuts, prawns, avocados and coconut milk. They make food taste better. They are an excellent source of slow burn energy. And, although gram for gram they are higher in calories than carbs , they keep you full for longer. Adding fat to starch food (butter to potatoes, for example), will actually slow the rate at which the starch is broken down into sugars and absorbed. Eating healthy oils also improves the absorption of the essential fat-soluble vitamins (A,D, E and K)."

*Association of dietary, circulating and supplement fatty acids with coronary risk http://annals.
And I suspect he'd say something different if you spoke to him off the record. Note that when Dr Xand Van Tuliken did The Truth About Carbs, he did not dare tackle the 'fat elephant; in the room so I believe its the Beeb that is playing it safe because of the nature of the programme (public health advice and not a controversial discussion topic).
The mainstream is shifting away from low fat and is comfy with 'healthy' fats from nuts and plants. But if they were to start saying that sat fat and particularly that from dairy may prevent diabetes or is correlated with a longer life span or doesn't always raise ldl (even if that did matter) it would be shooting a big hole in their own boat. Am hoping that Nina Techoliz will succeed in her campaign to get the USDA guidelines of 2020 to base their decision on the current science from which many other national guidelines may be changed.

Reactions: Serena51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And I suspect he'd say something different if you spoke to him off the record. Note that when Dr Xand Van Tuliken did The Truth About Carbs, he did not dare tackle the 'fat elephant; in the room so I believe its the Beeb that is playing it safe because of the nature of the programme (public health advice and not a controversial discussion topic).
The mainstream is shifting away from low fat and is comfy with 'healthy' fats from nuts and plants. But if they were to start saying that sat fat and particularly that from dairy may prevent diabetes or is correlated with a longer life span or doesn't always raise ldl (even if that did matter) it would be shooting a big hole in their own boat. Am hoping that Nina Techoliz will succeed in her campaign to get the USDA guidelines of 2020 to base their decision on the current science from which many other national guidelines may be changed.

Agreed, absoblumminlutely.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
<snipped> Am hoping that Nina Techoliz will succeed in her campaign to get the USDA guidelines of 2020 to base their decision on the current science from which many other national guidelines may be changed.
It would be good if she can but I worry that science in Trump's USA might not be enough.. :(

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest he's about as shifty off camera as he is on. @CherryAA and I had a chat with him at the PHC conference this year and he was definitely not a full on LCHF advocate... He seemed a bit lost and undecided (or if I wanted to be really mean he was looking for the next bandwagon to jump on!).

Reactions: zand and hankjam

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To be honest he's about as shifty off camera as he is on. @CherryAA and I had a chat with him at the PHC conference this year and he was definitely not a full on LCHF advocate... He seemed a bit lost and undecided (or if I wanted to be really mean he was looking for the next bandwagon to jump on!).

But he has a wide audience which is why I am irritated by this wishy washy flip flopping.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But he has a wide audience which is why I am irritated by this wishy washy flip flopping.
You only have to watch one of those segments where he has two opposing "experts" discussing a controversial topic - he always ends up with a fence sitting cautious summary - very middle of the road about everything. I roll my eyes at a lot of the stuff on that show and like others gave up watching a while back.

Reactions: hankjam and Guzzler

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
"Well, Scott, that's because it's lard with peas in it."

Surprisingly tasty, though!

I can still remember eating bread a beef drippin' as a kid. Hopefully the peas can be counted towards your 5, 7, 9 or 10 a day LOL (delete as necessary). Does sound quite good.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You only have to watch one of those segments where he has two opposing "experts" discussing a controversial topic - he always ends up with a fence sitting cautious summary - very middle of the road about everything. I roll my eyes at a lot of the stuff on that show and like others gave up watching a while back.
So having interviewed two experts with opposing views, is he supposed to say something like "Expert A was clearly
wrong". There would be no point in having the interview and the programme would be criticized for bias. He is a presenter and has to show balance. It is for the audience to make up their minds or would you rather be dictated to?

Reactions: Robinredbreast

lindisfel

Expert
Television and Newspapers look for the controversial angles. Truth, or even being almost correct is not what they look for.

I think the low carb movement needs some public relations advice. I would start by instead of LCHF I would recommend LCGF. Low carb good fats.

D.
So having interviewed two experts with opposing views, is he supposed to say something like "Expert A was clearly
wrong". There would be no point in having the interview and the programme would be criticized for bias. He is a presenter and has to show balance. It is for the audience to make up their minds or would you rather be dictated to?

lindisfel

Expert
Moseley sends my wife to sleep, even if she starts doing her Sudoku to fill the time in until I put another recording on.
Bodyguard is a pretty good cure for Moseleyitus, but it's the last one tonight.
D.

Last edited:
Reactions: hankjam

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And I am betting that Keely Hawes will still be alive somewhere. Promise to eat a Mars Bar if she's not!

Tannith

BANNED
The "fatty" food they are given for the test is a croissant... ! no carbs involved there then.
@Tannith your lack of scepticism is quite astounding...
Since when have croissants been "junk" food.
Orange juice made things worse because of the sugar! so says the scientist but of course it has to be the fat.
The program has become a joke.

Edited by Mod
Apparently you always know better than the whole medical profession, the entire scientific academic community, all the scientists who put together all the diets for all the governments for all the major countries on all the continents, plus the WHO, so I am not surprised that you know better than the BBC and its 5 doctors on this occasion. but that does not entitle you to constantly belittle and scorn everyone who disagrees with your opinion.I'm surprised the Moderators don't step in more often.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently you always know better than the whole medical profession, the entire scientific academic community, all the scientists who put together all the diets for all the governments for all the major countries on all the continents, plus the WHO, so I am not surprised that you know better than the BBC and its 5 doctors on this occasion. but that does not entitle you to constantly belittle and scorn everyone who disagrees with your opinion.I'm surprised the Moderators don't step in more often.
Apart from your rather personal attack on me I see that you have no answer to any of the points I have made.
I do not claim to know more than the people you mention I just have a sceptical point of view and where I see someone saying that a "fatty" meal is bad when in fact it is a high carb meal as well I am obligated to point that out don't you think?
I am not responsible for the bad science that is promulgated by programmes like "Trust Me" however I will continue to call it out when I see it. If this somehow offends you I can only apologise, however I will not stop doing it. By the way the post was moderated for a mild example of swearing and not because of anything else.

Reactions: Robbity

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The entire scientific community does not speak with one voice. Constantly promulgating the fear of sat fat is wrong. When they do it and (unfortunately) when you do it. The diet/heart hypothesis was flawed, it remains flawed. Of course, this is just my humble opinion.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker does not claim to know more, he is very good at finding and linking studies and videos for us to make up our own minds. He is not posting, most of the time, with his own thoughts and ideas and conclusions.

Also, on the subject of "better than the whole medical profession, the entire scientific academic community, all the scientists who put together all the diets for all the governments for all the major countries on all the continents, plus the WHO, " I seem to remember the same argument being put across about the effects of tobacco smoking. Jut because a very large amount of people make a lot of noise about something doesnt mean they are right. Most of our now standard medical treatments due to breakthroughs, were due to people going against the massive tide of the majority and proving that the received wisdom was wrong.