Trying to get most out of freestyle libre trial

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I am in US. I have type 2 diabetes and take metformin. I was just taken off Januvia.

I have the free trial for the freestyle libre 14 day sensor, I like to be able to check glucose during the day without fingerstick. I find it reads lower than fingerstick especially when levels are rising.

I don’t know how to optimize the data. There is a graph but it is small, hard to determine what the values were. There is a log of when I did sensor readings and it gives averages.

I know there are apps you can connect to to share data. Libre view is one. Do they show the data differently?

My fasting glucose had gone higher when I first stopped Januvia a few weeks ago, but it is going back to where I was while taking it. I am not seeing big changes with foods, but it does go up in morning.

Thanks for any tips.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello. I am in US. I have type 2 diabetes and take metformin. I was just taken off Januvia.

I have the free trial for the freestyle libre 14 day sensor, I like to be able to check glucose during the day without fingerstick. I find it reads lower than fingerstick especially when levels are rising.

I don’t know how to optimize the data. There is a graph but it is small, hard to determine what the values were. There is a log of when I did sensor readings and it gives averages.

I know there are apps you can connect to to share data. Libre view is one. Do they show the data differently?

My fasting glucose had gone higher when I first stopped Januvia a few weeks ago, but it is going back to where I was while taking it. I am not seeing big changes with foods, but it does go up in morning.

Thanks for any tips.

The Libre measures glucose in the interstitial fluids in the skin, it does not measure blood glucose levels directly.
If your glucose levels are changing, the Libre is always 10 to 15 minutes behind blood glucose measured with a finger prick.
If your glucose levels have been flat for a while then the Libre ought to match the finger prick reasonably well.

Reactions: lorib64

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks for any tips.

Hi,

There can be a bit of lag regarding a rise with what the Libre says to the meter? Especially when I come up off a hypo..

what sort of discrepancy are you noticing between meter & sensor in general?

Lakeslover

I have been using the libre since march. I don’t find there is a lag as long as 10 minutes, but the libre readings are almost always 1 to 1.5 below my finger prick readings. When I interpret the graphs I allow for this. I have also set the alarms at different levels to allow for it. For example the low alert is set at 3. I know at this point my actual blood sugar will be between 4 and 4.5. It takes trial and error to work that out though. What is right for me might not be right for you.

libreview has more graphs and you can see them on your tablet or PC making them a bit easier to interpret.

I also use diabox which you can calibrate to take account of the difference between blood and libre, but it probably isn’t worth going to that effort for the 14 day trial.

I think the way to get the most out of the trial is to use it to look at trends and patterns. For example What foods have an impact? What does exercise do? What else causes peaks? How quickly does each type of peak come down?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using the libre since march. I don’t find there is a lag as long as 10 minutes, but the libre readings are almost always 1 to 1.5 below my finger prick readings. When I interpret the graphs I allow for this. I have also set the alarms at different levels to allow for it. For example the low alert is set at 3. I know at this point my actual blood sugar will be between 4 and 4.5. It takes trial and error to work that out though. What is right for me might not be right for you.

libreview has more graphs and you can see them on your tablet or PC making them a bit easier to interpret.

I also use diabox which you can calibrate to take account of the difference between blood and libre, but it probably isn’t worth going to that effort for the 14 day trial.

I think the way to get the most out of the trial is to use it to look at trends and patterns. For example What foods have an impact? What does exercise do? What else causes peaks? How quickly does each type of peak come down?

Strangely, I found I don't need to calibrate the Libre 2 like I used to with the L1? On the whole the L2 is more stable from the outset to end of it's life for me..
I use Diabox these days. Just find it an easier set up than XDrip?
The discrepancy is 0.6 on average with my meter. I'm happy with that.

I suppose it all relivant to the accuracy tolerance on the actual meter..

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

There can be a bit of lag regarding a rise with what the Libre says to the meter? Especially when I come up off a hypo..

what sort of discrepancy are you noticing between meter & sensor in general?
My glucose is rising in the morning. Sensor read 100 mg/dl meter 120 but usually it is closer within 10 mg/dl. Thank you

Lisa69free

Strangely, I found I don't need to calibrate the Libre 2 like I used to with the L1? On the whole the L2 is more stable from the outset to end of it's life for me..
I use Diabox these days. Just find it an easier set up than XDrip?
The discrepancy is 0.6 on average with my meter. I'm happy with that.

I suppose it all relivant to the accuracy tolerance on the actual meter..
I've tried to find links for Diabox but they seem to have been removed. Could you direct me where to find it please?