trying to take control

lister

Dislikes
people with no sense of humor rude people (being 50 lol)
hi,
not sure where to pose this one so appoligies if it's the wrong place.
am type 2 diet only at mo trying carb counting but i weigh 20.5 stone and am trying to lose weight and keep bg down,
yesterday had 1 slice medium wholemeal toast with small amount of shop brand olive spread then for dinner had 116grams weight of pasta and (shop bought pasta sauce about 12 carbs worth)
only drinks are diet with no sugar or carbs max calories less than 1.5kcal per bottle and 2 coffee with canderel and small amount blue top milk 4% fat.
today felt really awful but persisting and i had 1 wholemeal toast with small olive spread for breckies then dinner had 2 slices roast pork 1 small roast potatoe 4 brussels small broccoli small savoy cabbage small sttring beans and a little gravy total carbs today are 40 so am i doing this right or am i trying too quickly.... :)
Rob

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You're getting there ! :D

I think that was a very large amount of pasta BTW. Try cutting the portion down. Did you take blood glucose readings before and two hours after this meal and if so what were they ?

Some can tolerate the starchy carbs but most can't so meter readings are key to deciding whether to cut down the potion size or avoid that food altogether.

The good news is that, when you have lost some weight your Insulin resistance goes down and you may find that you can re-introduce these previously avoided foods back into your diet but only in small portions !

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi Lister,

I couldn't control my BG eating the pasta, potatoes etc that you are eating. I can put up with 2 slices of wholemeal bread but not in the same sitting. If I eat more than around 20grams of carb per meal, my BG rockets and I end up having to go to bed I feel that poorly.

I eat 1/2 slice toast with fish or a couple of eggs for breakfast, 1 slice of bread at lunch with fish or chicken and 1/2 slice bread late afternoon with some cheese or something for my snack before i leave work for the journey home.

I've dropped from 20 stone to 13 stone in 1 year by eating small portions very regularly (every 2 hours). The days of big meals have gone for me. This method alongwith watching my carbs got my BG's down from 16 to 6 in a matter of a couple of weeks.

I rarely eat the bread in traditional 'sandwhich' style with my fingers, I put it on the plate and pile my fish / chicken etc on top and eat it all with a knife and fork. this takes longer and helps me feel fuller. I really look forward and enjoy my meals so much more than the old days when I used to just wolf it down.

In terms of amount of carbs, I started off at first restricting myself to 100grams per day. This saw my BG come under control and run at about 9 with 2 X Metformin per day. I then dropped the carbs to about 60 grams per day and the weight starting dropping off. My BG dropped to 5.5 and I carried on for about 10 months enjoying feeling fitter and buying lots of new clothes as I dropped from a 40inch waist to a 32 inch. The regime for me is far from a chore - the food is great. Lots of meats, fish, salad and veg. I make things more interesting with mayonaise, cheese sauces and coleslaw. I am now a master at reading the 'nutritional information' labels on everything I eat. Stuff thats badged up as 'healthy'''diet' etc is usually not the best in terms of low carbs so you will have a lot of investigation work to do.

I have now reached a point where my BMI is 25 and I need to lose around 1/2 stone to get to 24. I am aiming for a BMI of 23 so want to lose another stone. Although I would have to say that I can't ever remember being 12 stone even as a teenager and I wasn't overweight then! Carrying on the way I am is keeping my weight constant so I need to step it up to start losing again and I'm trying things but struggling at the moment.

Keep well and good luck.

carl

lister

Dislikes
people with no sense of humor rude people (being 50 lol)
Hi sue and carl.
Thanks for your replies should have taken readings but ran out of bg strips.
the pasta was 116grm of weight cooked on a set of scales i think the carbs for the pasta was about 27 carbs by my counting have i got them wrong :eek: i am new to this so might be wrong :?
i am reading the collins gem carb counter i am confused as i believe that fats will make me put on weight so am trying to lower carbs and fats hopefully will lose weight and lower my bg's i am trying not to go over 40 carb in a 24 hour period.
regards Rob