1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Trying to understand C-peptide test results...??

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Finsky, May 18, 2016.

1. Finsky

Finsky Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Last autumn I had my urinary C-peptide test done to confirm the type of diabetes I have (finally after 23 years!!!..:rolleyes:)
    I only just found my letter of the test results and now trying to find more info, but cannot come across same type of reference numbers to make head or tail of the results.
    Basically the letter confirm that I still have "reasonable c-peptide reserve" but the actual numbers are..."urinary c-peptide 5528 and creatine c-peptie ratio of 801.2"
    Is there anymore to read from those numbers? Or is 'reasonable reserve' all there is to it? Now I'm wondering if the 'reserve' can be inproved...I suppose that is down to beta cell recovery, according to Dr.Fung that is do-able!?
    Any links or info to understand those test numbers further would be appreciated ;)

2. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. I've never heard of a urinary c-peptide test? Mine was thru a blood test. I'm afraid I can't help with those numbers.

3. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Were there no units? - pmol/L?

I thought a urinary c-peptide test was a moment in time thing - how much c-peptide is floating around reflects how much insulin is being made over the last few days, so tomorrow there could be more or less depending on what is needed.

4. Finsky

Finsky Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

No units...just those two figures quoted in the letter...and it is patient's copy of letter for the GP!? That's what I couldn't figure out neither as all the sites I've been looking for are referring to 'units'.
    Maybe there is no more to it other than "suggestion a reasonable c-peptide reserve"??
    Hmmm....something I need to ask during next appointment..even if it is just to satisfy my curiosity. Oh well.....

5. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

In the letter do they not say what type? My letter have the number (which I can't recall sorry!) and States I was type 1.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook